Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1642 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2010 9:35 AM by dwm082 RSS
Nance99 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2010 8:37 AM

Any runners from Port Jefferson, NY area

Can anyone suggest a run that has hills as I'm preparing for my first Cow Harbor race in Sept.? Thanks!

• Jackaroo26 Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 13, 2009
    1. Jul 28, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Nance99)
    Re: Any runners from Port Jefferson, NY area

I'm nearby, but I'm not running Cow Harbor. I'm not anywhere near a 10k yet. I believe the Northport running club is doing training runs on the same route as the actual race, if you want to give that a try. Good luck!

~Jackie Started c25k on 3/27/10 • Graduated (finally!) c25k on 8/28/10

Chase Corporate Challenge, Central Park, NYC, 3.5-mile race, 6/16/10, in 54:41 (5k time=48:14)

Marcum Workplace Challenge, Jones Beach, NY, 3.5-mile race, 8/3/10, in 53:00 (5k time=46:34)

"It's always better to run today." "Think of reasons to run instead of reasons not to."

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    2. Aug 12, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to Nance99)

Hi Nance,

I live in shoreham and pretty much you will find some hills any where on the North Shore.  I heard nothing matches the hills in Cow harbor though.  Running along North Country Road is a pretty good climb. I was planning on running in Rocky Point and along N. Country Road when my foot heels in 2 weeks.  I have been training for Cow harbor all summer long, I pray my foot will be 100% by then.  If I find any challenging hills when I resume training I will let you know.  Good Luck!

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 12, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to Nance99)

Where in Port Jeff are you? I live in Buffalo now, but I grew up in PJ (Belle Terre/Harbor Hills area).

If you're in that neighborhood, I'm imagining a run along Seaside Drive with a slow climb up Nonawantuc Trail, down Fairway Drive, and down Crooked Oak back to the beginning of Seaside Drive would do the trick. If you're looking for longer, less steep hills, maybe a loop starting on Cliff Road going around Beach Road, Valley Road, and up Saints Orchard Road would give you some good (and more gradual) downhill and uphill work.

Of course, if you're in the Village, you can try Thompson Street off of East Main Street (near the library). I used to bike up that as a kid. That's no joke. Likewise, anything that takes you up either East or West Broadway will give you plenty of hill work. Too bad I wasn't a runner back then.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points