Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4047 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 5:00 PM by lenzlaw RSS
tsherman515 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2010 11:55 AM

Is knee pain "normal" for new runners?

I started the C25K on 7-22-2010. On my 2nd run, two days later, I started to experience knee pain. Is this normal? Am I "breaking-in" my knees? After the knee pain kicked in, I started to ice them and then finish off with Icy Hot to relieve them. My next run was scheduled for yesterday, but due to the pain, I put it off until today. I'm still experiencing soreness. My real question is, do I wait until they feel completely better? Or can I "run through it" and they'll eventually loosen-up. I have a 5K run scheduled for March 2011 that I DO NOT WANT TO MISS. Any advice would be extremely helpful! I don't wan to give up!

Tina

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Jul 28, 2010 12:04 PM (in response to tsherman515)
    Re: Is knee pain "normal" for new runners?

Ts,

Alittle soreness yes at the begining with your body getting used to moving its going to take time, but knee pain leads to injury and is not normal so if your having pain go see a doctor and see whats wrong.

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Speck333 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Jul 28, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to tsherman515)

Hi there Tina, I'm very new to this forum, and new to running as well, having started C25K at the end of May. What you are describing happened to me at well. All I can say is it was "normal" for me. It started after the first 2 or 3 runs, and got progressively worse, not the knees (as in joints), but all the muscles all around my knees hurt terribly and were tender to the touch even! I stretched every time, iced and used Icy Hot, just like you. What ended up happening were three things. 1) I got new, better running shoes. 2) I started running on dirt and grass more, and 3) I got sick and had to take 10 days off the program. During that time, my knee pain healed completely, and when I went back out there was no pain, and hasn't been since. My knees are def. "broken in" now.

Unfortunately, I'm having a different problem now with my foot. Anyway, all I can offer is my personal experience. Take from it what you will and good luck to you!

• SuzannaHamilton Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    4. Jul 28, 2010 3:39 PM (in response to tsherman515)

Hi,

You might want to check out the book 'Born To Run', it's an excellent read.  You can read about it on Amazon, the reviews are really good.  The author was having all types of problems with running, injuries, etc.  He researched humans and how we are "born to run".  A lot of us run heal toe, this running style is wrong and causes the majority of our injuries.  When we run this way, we especially feel pain in our knees and lower back.  I was having a problem with my left heel as well as at times I would feel pains in my hips/low back.  After reading this book, I changed my running style to the way the author describes in the book.  I went from pushing myself to finishing 3.5 miles every other day to running 5 to 7 miles every other day - sometimes everyday.  I finished my first cross country half marathon 3 months after reading the book. The author talks about running on the front half of your foot, like when your taking off at a start line, this will cause you to pivot forward just a bit at the waist.  He describes it like you have a rope around your waist and someone is behind you pulling on the rope while you try running up hill.  You're not bent over, you're just pulling from the waist.  Because of this style, you use your core more than anything as well as this aligns your body properly.  Your calves will be sore the first week or so, mine were fine after my first week.  The positive is, you no longer have to work calves in the gym.:)  This style of running also helps you define what you're doing wrong if you feel pains during your run.  If I lean back too much, my left knee will start hurting.  Once I adjust my alignment, it stops hurting.

Hope this helps.

Suzanna

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jul 28, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to SuzannaHamilton)

What gets ignored by many readers of Born to Run is the many months the author spent with a couple professional trainers learning and refining his running technique/form.  While the book is an interesting read, and offers a few tips, it's not really intended to offer training advice and there are many better sources.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points