Skip navigation

3246 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2010 12:14 PM by CtLakers RSS
PHXSuns1 Legend 361 posts since
Apr 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2010 12:19 PM

Have the LA Lakers Improved there Team?

Have the Los Angeles Lakers Improved there Team to keep up with the Miami Heat and to get a Three-Peat. They Aquired Matt Barnes,Theo Ratliff and Steve Blake. Lost Jordan Farmar but Blake is better there better then last Two years. Will Shannon Brown return beacuse Walton is done this Season. I think they improved there team there Winners of the West to get through the Suns and Mavs. Then Heat. They Improved a Lot. There the Team to Beat. Your Thought's.

rey.jpg

peyton manning.jpg

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    1. Jul 29, 2010 12:57 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)
    Re: Have the LA Lakers Improved there Team?

Yes. They made the smallest, change out of the top West teams in my opinion, but there's has the most effect.

You have D-Fish coming back, bringing leadership, as well Kobe doing the same, while being the lethal Black Mamba like always. Artest wants to go party again, so he'll want to repeat lol. One of the best big man in Gasol is coming back, finally erasing that KG memory from '08. And, hopefully, Bynum will be healthy at least for 60 games this year, and not injured as they go to the playoffs.

They lost Farmar, but gained a veteran, and a better shooter in Steve Blake, who doesn't mind being a defensive-minded PG either. Plus, I'm sure he'll learn the Triangle Offense with no problem. Shannon Brown should be returning, but if he doesn't, I think Devin Ebanks and Sasha could make for good backups. Artest has another tough, gritty player in Barnes to help relieve him of guarding the other team's best player, as well as letting Kobe rest on defense sometimes. Odom will be solid like usual, being backup to Gasol, and Derrick Caracter will be a rugged, undersized, power forward, who should give good minutes here and then. He's like Joakim Noah, with a better, offensive game, but way slower. And, Theo Ratliff will be a veteran over Bynum, so he can teach the rookies as a mentor, and he'll get limited minutes as well, but if Bynum goes down, he can be reliable, whether he starts, or comes off the bench.

The acquisition of Steve Blake, Matt Barnes, and Theo Ratliff, not only give the Lakers added veteran presence, but defensive minded players. Theo was a great shot blocker back in the day, and he'll still be able to grab a few boards, and get a few blocks if he wants too. Barnes wants a ring, after traveling all over to teams. And, Blake wants to play with the Lakers.

I think the Lakers improved, and that they should easily get back to the Finals. I don't know about a repeat yet, because we have to see how everyone on the Lakers is. Odom is playing for Team U.S.A. so he might not be full strength during the season, so Caracter, and Ratliff may see more minutes through the season, but not too much in the playoffs.

Lakers are definitely, or should be the favorites to repeat, and when you have the best closer in the game, it's hard not to give the Lakers the nod for a 3-PEAT!

• Zacksly Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 24, 2010
    2. Jul 29, 2010 1:22 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Heck ya.  Last year all they did was bring in ron artest.  This year they brought back fish, and got barnes, and steve blake and theo ratlif.  I hink it is a good thing that luke walton is out, that will give barnes more minutes and if they sign ebanks and caracter, they could get minutes.

Here is my depth chart for the lakers.

Starting"

PG:Derek Fisher

SG:Kobe Bryant

SF:Ron Artest

PF:Pau Gasol

C:Andrew Bynum

Sixth Man:

Lamar Odom

Role Players:

Shannon Brown

Matt Barnes

Steve Blake

Theo Ratlif

Devin Ebanks

Bench:

Sasha Vuijicic

Reserved:

Luke Walton

I really think the lakers should trade sasha and/or walton for some 2nd round draft picks so the lakers have room so we could sign ebanks and caracter.    I think Derrick Caracter will go to the D league for a year or so.  They might bring him up if bynum gets injured again.  The lakers had a great offseason and improved their team alot.  Barnes was a lucky pick up and blake was a good replacement for jordan farmar.  And I really hope they sign ebanks and/or Caracter.  Im excited about this season.   GO LAKERS!!!!!!

Attachments:
  • Fox97 Pro 94 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    3. Jul 29, 2010 1:56 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Yes. Any time you add a lock down defender and solid combo guard to back up your stars you are deffinately improving.

• Pointguard1995 Legend 304 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    4. Jul 29, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to Fox97)

I totally agree with you

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    5. Jul 29, 2010 7:48 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Not only have the Lakers improved their team, but the west has gotten that much easier. For instance, the Utah Jazz don't have Carlos Boozer who went to the Chicago Bulls, an Eastern Conference team. Amar'e Stoudemire, even though people think he is overated, left Phoenix and went to New York, an Eastern Conference team. So you get the theme here. Personally, I don't think it would have mattered much if the Lakers had the SAME exact team as they did last year, they still will win the championship, and should be better then they were last year, which for other teams, is a scary thought.

Jul 27, 2010
    6. Jul 29, 2010 11:31 PM (in response to adanny14)

Don't drop the Utah Jazz out of contention. Al Jefferson is solid, and a better post player than Boozer. The only setback may be his weight, learning the new system, and becoming a jump shooter out of the pick and roll. But, Al is young, and so is Deron. A year will do wonders for them.

And, OKC is a team still on the rise. KD is a monster now. Check what he did in the Team USA Scrimmage. And, I'm positive that he didn't go all out in that game.

The Lakers are the West threat, but remember you still have contenders. The Mavericks look to be a deeper threat this year.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    7. Jul 30, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to Phenom70)

Although I'd like to point out that OKC won't be serious title contenders for 2-3 years, because a lot of their guys need more experience.

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    8. Jul 30, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Yeah I think they've gotten better. They had one of the strongest benches in the league, and now they've made it even stronger.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

Jul 27, 2010
    9. Jul 30, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to ToughD)

Are you serious? One of the deepest benches?

They couldn't throw a rock in the ocean to save there lives, let's be honest!

They were not a factor in the playoffs too much. Except when they needed to be like in Game 6.

There bench is not good enough to keep them at a championship level like this. The starters, and Odom's play are the only reason they won. This time around though, there bench is better in my eyes. They need to sign Ebanks and Caracter, and have people to fall back on for the future. For right now, the Lakers are safe to win another title.

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    10. Jul 30, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to PHXSuns1)

Phenom70, you can dunk? What did you do to increase your vertical to be able to dunk?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

Jul 27, 2010
    11. Jul 30, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to ToughD)

Uh, can we talk about this in another thread. This isn't the right place to do so...

• CtLakers Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010
    12. Jul 30, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to PHXSuns1)

The Lakers have improved alot. There defence on the Heat will be excellent. Kobe on Wade, Ron Artest on Lebron, Pau Gasol on Chris Bosh, Matt Barnes on either lebron or wade when kobe or ron need to take a break. Let GO FOR THE 3-PEAT!!!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points