Skip navigation

47757 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Previous Next
  • Carla G.Tinnon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Sep 27, 2010 6:48 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

This was my first 1/2.  I can't say enough good.  Loved the local support.  Plan to run again next year.  The hills were challenging but fun.  Thanks to all the volunteers and organizers.  Good job.

• Liz2879 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2009
    181. Sep 27, 2010 7:19 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 1st half marathon and I LOVED it!  I thought the hills were great!  The live music and support along the route was great!  I think the expo could have gone a little longer and could have been in a bigger space. The finisher's medal was awesome but the goodie bag was kind of blah. 

My thoughts and prayers our with Lynn's family.  I've been thinking about you all weekend. 

• MAMAWHITLEY Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    182. Sep 27, 2010 7:21 PM (in response to Guest )

Had a great time but a real challenge. Both my daughter and I have a new PR. Lots of fun and very organized!! That last hill seriously - seriously !!!

• rmdwink Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    183. Sep 27, 2010 7:34 PM (in response to Guest )

This was an exceptionally well organized event.  The support was very good, and the food at the end was well organized and plentiful.  The nicely decorated tables and flowers were a nice touch.  I especially appreciated the option of having a massage, but it would have been nice to have more therapists available, as there was a very long line.  The massage therapists on hand did not rush, which was nice.  Good idea on giving a heads up to bring cash for the massage post-race.  The shirts and medals were very nice.  Next year we need more room for the expo and more oranges on the course.  The gu was nice, but fresh oranges always go fast and are always appreciated.  Most of all, nice quantity and placement of port a potties.  Also, they stayed stock with tissue.  Yea.  Someone deserves a medal for that alone.

• paticrews Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 7, 2010
    184. Sep 27, 2010 8:10 PM (in response to Guest )

It was my 40th birthday and this was my first half marathon. I absolutely loved it! It was an exceptional route and the hills were a real challenge...especially the bridge at mile 12! Wow! My husband and sons all volunteered and it was such a nice surprise to be given my medal by my husband and my son even walked across the finish line with me! I am so proud of my medal! The other volunteers were just as fabulous! Everyone was very helpful and supportive. Loved the support along the route from the bands and the community. The event was very well organized. Water/Gatorade stations were in the right spots. Loved the GU and fruit. I only stopped once at the port-a-potties and waited about 5 minutes, but still not too bad. My only let down was the goodie bag, not so "ultimate".

Was so sad to hear about Lynn Manzelmann's passing. Even though I did not know her personally, my sympathies go out to her family. 

• Jackie Lancaster Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 1, 2009
    185. Sep 28, 2010 4:13 AM (in response to Guest )

This race was awesome!  I have a new PR, even with all the challenging hills.  It was very well organized, and my friend and I had lots of fun.  LOVE the medal.  Planning to collect them from St. Pete and AZ, too.  Looking forward to doing this one again next year.

• Cindy Reese Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    186. Sep 28, 2010 5:33 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5K and it was great!  I had just had major back surgery 9 months ago and had to walk it but finished it and did not come in last!  It was a great accomplishment for me and my friends were there to walk with me and cheer me on!  It was awesome and the excitement and energy from everyone was insipring! It was a tough course but I had trained on the course and had my best time that day.  Would do it again.

• patrwool Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    187. Sep 28, 2010 5:55 AM (in response to Guest )

The race was well organized, but the ultimate goody bag was empty, and the host hotel put me in a room right next to Broadway!!  Too loud too late!!

• Anne Hasson Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    188. Sep 28, 2010 6:09 AM (in response to Guest )

My sister, friend and I had a great time and did really well in the race.  The course was great.  We did the Country Music Marathon last year and I liked this course much better.  Everything seemed very well organized.  We are all looking forward to next year's race already!!!

• k__y_m Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2010
    189. Sep 28, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought that it was very well organized.  I really had no idea what to expect, but I LOVE the finisher's medal!  I agree with some of the other reviewers though - the goodie bag could have been a bit more "ultimate" and the expo should have gone on for longer on Friday.  I drove from Russellville, AL, almost 3 hours away and I had to take Friday off from work so I could get there in time.  Other than that, I had a great time and would definitely do another Women's Running Magazine race.

• Debi4040 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    190. Sep 28, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 6th half marathon and frankly I think the course was too brutal at the end.  The volunteers were great, the expo was nice, and the finisher's medal is awesome.  However, I would think twice before doing that race again.  In speaking to locals (we were from out of town) they indicated that there were many other ways to finish the race without having 2 large hills at the end.  Seems like poor planning to me.  I'd like to come back and enjoy more of the city, so I'm looking at doing a different race in Nashville next year.  Also, I want to say that I am praying for Lynn's family.  How sad and inspiring at the same time.

• Jenny92955 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    191. Sep 28, 2010 9:53 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first marathon and I had a GREAT time......from the training, to the excitment leading up to the event, even the last hill....I had an awesome time!  Loved the shirt and finisher's medal.  Looking forward to next year's marathon.

• MeganM123 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010
    192. Sep 28, 2010 10:25 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race. Loved the course despite all the challenaging hills. Can't wait til next year.

• tamination@yahoo.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    193. Sep 28, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

I absolutely loved this race! I have run the Nashville Country Music Half marathon 5 times and this course is so much better, you get to see more of the sights of Nashville. There was plenty of shade on the course and even though a lot of people didn't like the bridge at mile 12, I thought that it was downgrade from miles 9 through 11.  I wouldn't change the course at all; I'll be there next year!

• crawsta Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    194. Sep 28, 2010 12:29 PM (in response to Guest )

I have ran several mini's and loved the thought of a women's half marathon.  I was very surprised to see men running.  My husband was disappointed since we didn't think men were allowed to register.  I too had to take off work early to get to the expo as I live 4 hours away, so longer expo hours on Friday would be great.  I thought the medals were great, the expo was good, but lacked fuel belts (just an FYI in the future) I loved being given a finishers medal by a soldier and how totally cool was it to have Jodie Messina sing the National Anthem.  The course is my only complaint.  It was excessively hilly.  I did the Rock N Roll Nashville back in April and loved it.  This was ridiculous.  Unless there is a course change next year, I will not return for this particular race.  The hills on mile 12 were absurd.  For some women, it's all they could do to finish.  I felt sorry for the first time mini marathoners.  Highly recommend a review of the course.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...