Skip navigation

45798 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Previous Next
  • hkbmom Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Sep 26, 2010 2:24 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

Organized event with excellent communications prior to the race.  Excellent staff and volunteers! This was a challenging course and it would've been good to have a better description of the elevations.  The bridge at the and was pretty tough!  Overall, I loved the experience and hope WHM returns next year!! 

• cca20 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    61. Sep 26, 2010 2:24 PM (in response to Guest )

The Women's Half Marathon was WONDERFUL!  It was not crowded, very organized and the course was terrific!  IF you have never done a half-marathon and are looking to try one, you should DEFINITELY consider the WHM next year!!  Thank you to everyone who helped with this event and all the volunteers; it was GREAT!

• Stacie Sander-Mitchell Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    62. Sep 26, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to Guest )

This was the one of the most fun races I've ever been in. It was a very tough course with lots of hills. What a great time my sister and I had meeting women from all over with a common bond, to participate in this race. I greatly appreciate all the bathrooms along the course. The volunteers were outstanding and it was very organized down to the smallest detail.  The expo was fun the city was fun. See ya next year!!

• Mimifyne Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2010
    63. Sep 26, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the WHM tremendously!! Hanging out with my friends and meeting lots of new people.  The event was organized very well.

The expo could have been alittle larger and the course was ROUGH at the end!  Not a good place to have the most challenging hills at the end of the course.

Overall, good experience

• Joyce Dierschke Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    64. Sep 26, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to Guest )

A great race - will definitely do it again. The only issue for me was the parking. To pay $85 to race, and then have to pay $15 to park was unreasonable. Why not negotiate a better price with Central Parking? We ended up finding a $5 lot about 5 blocks away - not a BIG deal, but the excessive parking fees of downtown Nashville are always a sore subject with me! Also, as we were walking back to our car after the race we saw lots of people stuck streets that were closed off. They were literally trapped - couldn't move forward and couldn't turn around. One lady was pretty angry, said she'd been sitting in her car for an hour already. Need to do a better job with traffic control - for those Nashvillians NOT racing. Thanks!

• Andrea64694 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    65. Sep 26, 2010 3:07 PM (in response to Guest )

A fun half marathon celebrating women!  The Expo was fun but a little small.  The goody bags did need more goodies, though the bag itself is really cute!  Love the tech shirts!  It was a gorgeous day and a fun run!  I had a friend that overheated at mile 12 and the medical personnel that fortunately were 20 yards away were fantastic!  It will be a good idea to take the bridge at mile 12 out of the race next year.  I think this was one that lots of first-timers signed up for and that hill had to be daunting!  Please try to find some way to cool the water next year!!  Not setting it out in the 90 degree sun the day before would help.  Do plan to be back next year!!

• gaylacutler0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 4, 2010
    66. Sep 26, 2010 3:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Was a good race, but EXPENSIVE.  $95.00 with the only items of value being the shirt and the charm excludes, I'm sure, lots of women from being able to participate.  No interesting items in the goodies bag, like even chips, etc.  Also the expo items were overpriced-other expos I've been to at least didn't charge MORE money than local athletic stores. A plain visor cap I can buy for $11 at a local runners store was selling for $18 at the Expo.  Remember that most of us also had hotel and other travel expenses too.  But the race itself was a good one - the volunteers were awesome, the race started on time, there were lots of porta-potties, etc.  Need more massage tables!

• Pokeywoman Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    67. Sep 26, 2010 3:24 PM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this race.  The course was truly hard but I thought showcased Nashville nicely.  It was a fair representation of what it's like to run here, and making it "flatter and faster" would have resulted in it being much less scenic.  The weather cooperated, the organization and volunteers were nothing short of fantastic.  I missed the finish area goodies due to having to leave right after to meet family committments, but I too found the only thing really lacking was the goody bags and to some extent the expo.  I know the course was hard but being from here I knew just what to expect, and would not change an inch of it.  I would absolutely do it again.  I've run nineteen marathons and dozens of halfs all over the country and found very little to complain about with this race.

• juliaholly Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    68. Sep 26, 2010 3:27 PM (in response to Guest )

$95 for a half marathon is pretty expensive - the Marine Corps FULL Marathon costs less.

But my biggest issue is: whoever planned the course must not have ever run a day in their life. It was a really hilly course, more so than the Country Music Half Marathon here each spring, and I thought this one was designed to get a lot of first time women runners out and running. If so, some were probably scared to do it again or in a lot of pain. This was my sixth half marathon and I still couldn't believe planners put the Memorial Bridge at the end. On the up side, it was well organized and it was nice that the field wasn't so large. Great looking medal and shirt, too.

• Melindakreis Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    69. Sep 26, 2010 3:39 PM (in response to Guest )

I agree with what alot of people are saying...the course was pretty hard!! The hill over the Memorial Bridge at the very end was just cruel. This was my fifth half marathon and I was pretty suprised that this was the hardest course that I have ever ran (including CMM). The entry fee was also expensive too at 95 bucks!! Upside, great shirt and cool medal. Also, it seemed well organized and not too crowded. But I have to say after running that course, not sure that I will run it again!

• QueenTonya Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    70. Sep 26, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to Guest )

This my first half marathon and yes this course was very hilly. I didn't realize Nashville was so hilly. I had a lot of fun and met some really neat people. I was very saddened to hear about the lady that collapsed before the finish line. My prayers are with her and her family. The volunteers on the coarse were very friendly and inspiring  to all of us they said we could finish the race. The only complaint I guess I would have is the people that was giving out the fruit acted silly. My sister went to get me something to eat and they acted like she was going to eat it. A lot of the food got wasted (what was the point  if she was going to eat it you had plenty). And parking we as runners already paid to be in this event is it really fair to make us pay for parking to ? Heck where we parked no one would be using the space on the weekend anyway. You should either try to work out something so we don't have to pay for parking or set a cheaper price. I will do this half  marathon every year even if it's on the same route.

• RunswithSandy Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    71. Sep 26, 2010 3:43 PM (in response to Guest )

There were many fun things about this race, and the hills were not bad when you're prepared for it.  A few minor changes could make this an amazing race.  First, even though you only have 5,000 (or fewer) runners, it was VERY crowded and frustrating at the beginning with walkers lined across the road, etc.  You have corrals, now add a wave start and you'd fix this completely.  The fluid stations were not very well manned for the most part, you need more volunteers.  The early stations were not ready for us, and we had to wait to get fluids.  I could possibly have had a PR if not for these two issues, despite the hills.  Also, the gatorade and water tables need to be spaced farther apart so you have time to consume one before the other is upon you.  Finally, there are two choices here: either eliminate the big bridge at the end, or tell the idiot race volunteer around mile 8 to shut up.  He was telling everyone that that hill was the last big one and easy running from that point.  I had 4 other friends running different paces, and every one of us heard him.  For those of us not from here, we might have been prepared for the hills, but don't go out of your way to psych us out.  I recall one other hill later than that, in addition to the bridge, that found me wanting to search that guy out.  The medals and shirts are great, the expo was about the size I'd expect for this size race, and well managed.  You could have more goodies to fill that very cute bag.  Shout out to Vandy Breast Center for the very nice compacts and chip clips.  By far the nicest goody.  As for those already in the bag, corn thins?  Really?

• LauraScott0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2010
    72. Sep 26, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon. Since it was, I had no idea it was considered hilly but it gives me hope I could improve my time on other half marathons. I would definitely do it again. I did have a friend not run because she thought it was quite pricey. I loved the expo and the atmosphere during the event. It was so uplifting to see so many women participating in something that is so beneficial to their health and well being.

• PuntaCana911 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 12, 2010
    73. Sep 26, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 Marathon. I was told that there would be many hills, therefore I trained on hills. BUT, I was NOT prepared for the last hill on the 13th mile. I felt my body begin to shut down. If this hill stays on the course next year, you may want to warn all the newbies.

The Goodie Bags were not anything to talk about. You need to work on more sponsors. Also, I would begin the first mile on a wider street. It was WAY too crowed for 1st and Church.

The Volunteers were AMAZING. They did an outstanding job with water, traffic and cheering.

• Julie Seen Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 29, 2009
    74. Sep 26, 2010 3:53 PM (in response to Guest )

I loved the coarse. I liked the uphills, and down hills even better. Very well organized event. I will return next year.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...