Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10300 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 12:35 PM by Microstro
Microstro Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2010 2:20 PM

Happy with my Nikes... now discontinued! Good replacement?

Hi there,

Having had patchy success with running shoes, my current pair of Nikes have worked out pretty well- they've lasted around six months and surprisingly the dull foot aches I used to get after running have mostly disappeared since around the time I got them. So I'd happily replace them with an identical pair... except that Nike don't make them any more.

These are my current ones (Nike Air Citius 2+ MSL):-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKE-AIR-CITIUS-2%20-MSL-RUNNING-TRAINERS-~-UK-11.5-_W0QQitemZ200492883821QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=118536556706&rvr_id=118536556706&cguid=2f712a7912a0a0aad5a4b144fff4180a

The closest match I can see are Air Citius+3:-

http://www.johnlewis.com/104123/Style.aspx?tid=2

Am I right in assuming these are simply a newer version?

What does the "MSL" in the +2 ones stand for?

If the +2 / +3 isn't the version number, what does it mean?

Why don't Nike make this clearer on their website?

What's worse is that Nike appear to have discontinued the Citius line altogether, so even if the Citius +3s are okay, I'll probably have to buy a spare pair for future use. I realise that Nike's business has as much to do with fashion and pseudo-innovation (*), but it's really frustrating that they seem to constantly chop and change so that I can't even go out and buy the same pair again.

- Microstro

(*) Not claiming that there isn't some real innovation going on, but I don't buy into the hype that it's anything like as high as manufacturers would have us believe when they launch a new line of trainers with some marketing-technological justification every few months.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Most shoe manufacturers seem compelled to release "upgrades" to each shoe every year. With the minor tweaks, many manufacturers take shoes that work well for people and make them work less-well. Highly annoying. Lots of runners go out and buy multiple pairs of the same shoe once they find something that works for them. Cheaper than starting nearly from scratch every time there's a new release.

There's a good chance that the Citius + 3 is simply the next generation of the Citius + 2. I can't speak to the MSL acronym on the Citius + 2, though.

Looks like you're back to the drawing board unless you luck out and find that the Citius + 3 works for you and you buy several pairs.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

The only differences I can really see are in the heel cup and the toe area. I can't say whether those would affect shoe performance in any way (maybe stiffening up the heel cup a little?) Also, there might be other changes in the midsole that aren't visible, but who can say?

You sure wore down your old pair! How many miles did you put on those things? Usually I'm replacing shoes well before the tread gets worn down that far, since I can feel in my ankles, calves, and knees that the midsole isn't doing its job anymore.

Good luck with the new (and improved?) kicks!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...