Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1525 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2010 8:43 AM by Jozziee RSS
Rosi9 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2010 1:10 PM

will I be able to run without pain?

I started to train for a 10 K in the middle of July and for the 2 weeks I ran 2-3 miles every other day. However I started noticing a pain and tenderness around my ankles and on my calves.  I discontinued running for the cold weather at the beginning of the year and picket it up a little on March and April then slowed down. The pain after those two weeks was bad so I stopped running and the pain is not as much but still everytime that i try to run it comes back.  I do warm up and stretch before and after nunning but i have to admit that during those first 2 weeks I didn't stretche long enough or sometimes at all. Is this a common problem for any of you? will I ever be able to run without pain? I will appreciate you input. Thanks!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Aug 5, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to Rosi9)
    Re: will I be able to run without pain?

Rosi9,

You don't say what kind of pain you're having.  Is it soreness or sharp, like a muscle cramp?  If it's generalized soreness rather than a sharp pain, it's an inflammatory response in your muscles and tendons.  Exercise causes "microtears" in muscle tissue, which causes the body to repair and rebuild.  One of the side effects of this is soreness and inflammation.  If that is what you are experiencing, it means that you need to take your training more slowly -- fewer and shorter runs and time off between runs to allow healing.

A word about stretching -- the most recent studies discourage static stretching (holding a stretch) before exercise.  Instead, you should look on the Active.com website for pre-exercise stretch routines that emphasize warming up your muscles.  With respect to post-exercise stretching, the evidence is inconclusive.  I stretch my calves, quads and hamstrings after runs because it makes me feel better.

If you are experiencing sharp pain, I would suggest that you visit a sports-oriented physician.

Good luck.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Jozziee Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    2. Aug 6, 2010 8:42 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Check out sisuprojectyoga.com for pain free running.

• Jozziee Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    3. Aug 6, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to Rosi9)

Check out sisuprojectyoga.com for pain free running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...