Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

885643 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 297 Previous Next
  • runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,470. Jan 20, 2011 8:12 AM (in response to jmam1010)
    Re: Mediocrity.....

I agree with Mimi and jmam1010. I like to think that as a beginner my main goal will be to finish a 5k, 10k, etc.... After some experience then I will focus on a pr but not until I feel comfortable. I am not mediocre nor are my goals. I want to do this right without injuries that will sideline me somewhere down the road. I do hope you reach your goals but please don't tell the rest of us that our goals or whatnot are mediocre. Thank you. PS. I have no issue with my "big butt".

I've tried the GU and am not a fan of it. So I will probably try the other one that was mentioned earlier. I'm on to W4D2 of the C25k and am feeling pretty good although someone thought that Vermont needed to have the Narnia theme (so tired of the snow, I want warmth! and sun!)

Have a great day all!

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• Liprippa Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    1,471. Jan 20, 2011 8:18 AM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I knew this would start a little bit of a firestorm.  I know for a lot of us life WAS just about SHOWING up, it's what you do once you show up that matters.

As an ex-professional athlete that used to make his living from competition showing up is not what it is all about.  I could show up but that doesn't necessarily mean I was going to make any money at an event.  It's what you do there that counts.  If I failed to perform I went hungry for another two weeks until our next event.  If i just showed up all year I probably would have faced signifcant financial repercussions (foreclosure of a home, pull kids out of private school, inability to pay utility bills, etc.)  As a non-salaried commission owner of my own business it is just not acceptable to show up to work everyday and expect to generate income.  Once I am at the office it what I do there that makes a difference.

I think a few people may have taken that I mean our efforts are getting back in shape was mediocre that was not at all what I was saying.  Just challenging everyone to take what they are doing one step further in challenging themselves.  If I whatsoever made people feel that their efforts in making SIGNIFICANT life changes are mediocre I am sorry, that was not my intentions and for that I apologize.

dyykjt1 Didn't mean to offend, but I think we are all better than just showing up.

Jmam1010  I guess I am in the fat butt club.  Didn't mean to lump us all together or make a broad sweeping generalization.  For that I apologize.  Besides it is nice to know one of us had a nice butt!   LOL

Liprippa

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1,472. Jan 20, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to Liprippa)

I've been reading the posts....just reminds me that we all have an opinion, among other things.

What would be soooooo bad about being the last person to cross the finish line of a race, be it 5K, marathon or iron man event? Someone has to finish last, but even that person has been far ahead of all of the other couch potatoes that didn't take that first step.

That is not to discount any goal or any result. I think we all want to improve, even if we are just running for fun.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,473. Jan 20, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to PaintingLady)

OK -- thought I'd add my opinion -- we're all doing this for different reasons.  Some people are competitive and enjoy that -- some are not.  It works out well because we're all striving to do what floats our boat.  I don't think anyone would describe any of us a mediocre -- we're busily doing what lots of people can't/won't do.  That makes us above mediocre (which by the way, is another word for average).

I can't yet run a 5K without walking and may never be able to do so.  That's ok -- I am not concerned about coming in last.  I have no need to compete, I just want to move and will keep pushing myself to do better.  I am determined not to let myself be injured, though, so I suppose I am conservative about improving gradually.

Anyway, someone has to make sure that no one passed out on the course! 

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• jmam1010 Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 3, 2008
    1,474. Jan 20, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to Liprippa)

Oh no apology needed...I thought it was funny!  I do understand where you are coming from and my goals are always to better my time...but this is my first HM so I am hoping it goes as smoothly as possible!  @ Marie......I don't know why I get so worried about being last I know at least I am doing it.  My first race was a 5K about 5 years ago and unbeknownst to the first wave of runners we were sent the wrong way.....so toward the end of our run I was running with just a handful of people and a guy next to me says hey we are the last ones.....I couldn't believe it b/c there were over 1000 people signed up and there were ladies walking and pushing regular strollers (not jogging strollers), how on earth could they pass me up, how did I not see them pass me?  So I knocked the guy down and passed him up....HA! Just kidding....about then someone came and told us we had gone the wrong way and as we turned the corner we merged into all of the hundreds of other people.....we ended up going 4.3 miles in that 5K....but ever since then it really freaked me out that I was told I was "LAST".  I actually just can't wait until the HM and the moment I cross the finish line! What a great moment that will be....and then even better when I celebrate with a massage and a Margarita!

"Our running shoes are really erasers. Every step erases a memory of a past failure. Every mile brings us closer to a clean slate. Each footstrike rubs away a word, a look, or an event that led us to believe that success was beyond our grasp." ~John Bingham

Dec 3, 2010
    1,475. Jan 20, 2011 10:13 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

Thanks all for the advice on the Gu.  All of those things sound yucky to me and I especially don't like to have sticky fingers but might make it easier to hold things, I suppose.  I also am not in the habit of consuming water while working out -- I load up on water before I start and after I finish and have never had a problem with dehydration etc. even though I sweat like crazy.  But I normally only work out for an hour or so -- I can see I am going to have to change my ways as my workouts get longer.  The idea of consuming pure sugar/salt is foreign to me.  I am a vegan, track my daily macronutrient consumption, and watch my salt intake closely along with a 1500 cal/day diet.  I consume whole grains, vegetables etc but avoid refined carbs.  Well, I gotta do what I gotta do -- maybe I don't have to count the carbs as part of my daily carb allotment since they'll just be burned right off -- I'll check with the trainer/nutritionist.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1,476. Jan 20, 2011 10:50 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

jmam,I second that margarita at the end. I did do one small 5K while I was nursing the stress fracture, vowed to only walk it. I struggled to keep up with a lady that was over 80! I think I wound up beating her by 15 seconds, only because my pride made me jog a bit at the end. That was really stupid on my part, heck, even walking the event was stupid because it set back my recovery.

Sorry to hear about you being directed the wrong way and running a mile more than you should have. That had to be frustrating.

Retiredgirl, have you thought about dried figs or dates or bananas as an energy source? I recall reading about that as a natural alternative, I think it was from Danny Dreyer, Chi Running.

Now lets all join hands and sing Kum Ba Ya.....

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Liprippa Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    1,477. Jan 20, 2011 11:30 AM (in response to Donna914)

Jmam and paintinglady.  Margaritas or the massage.  I might actually go with the massage today. 

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,478. Jan 20, 2011 9:03 PM (in response to Liprippa)

General comments about miscellaneous stuff - I don't like being last.  Yes, it is good that I am able to participate in various athletic events, and yes, it is better than someone who cannot do it at all or will not do it.  That does not mean that I have to like being last.  I am frequently last or near last in any athletic event that I do.  I strive to improve on that each time I do an event, and sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not.

Someone mentioned that they enter events where they know many (sometimes thousands) of people will be participating, thus lessening the chance that they may be last, and I do that as well, at least with longer distance events.  The half marathon that I may be doing this spring will have many participants, which will be good for me.  My employer is one of the major sponsors of this marathon/half marathon, since we have offices in the participating city.  Because of that, I have asked if they would pay my registration fee for the half marathon, and I am waiting to here about that.

The underground 5k that I was going to do in a few weeks is sold out, and I have not registered yet.  The website says to check back for any late cancellations or spots opening, and I am going to do that.  It is my fault that I waited so late to check on it, because I figured I could just register at packet pickup a few days before the 5k.  I did not know that this event was so popular.  So if I am able to do it - great, and if not, then I will know next year to register early, even if I am not sure I will be doing it.  I can always give my registration to someone else if I have to cancel.

I don't like GU.  I have tried it before, and like someone else mentioned, I find it to be very thick, hard to digest, and it doesn't taste good.  Plus, I have a serious illness related to the digestive system, so I have to watch what I eat and/or drink before an athletic event to minimize my problems during the event.  That's not to say that GU might not work for someone else, it is just not good for me.

Some of the people who post messages on this blog I don't consider to be Penguins.  Often someone says they are slow, then they post their speed, which to me is very fast.  But then again, I guess it is that person's own opinion as to whether they consider themselves to be slow or not.  I have not found anyone yet (I may recall maybe one message a while back from someone) who jogs as slow as I do.  I don't consider anyone to be slow unless they are jogging at a 16 minute per mile pace or slower - 17, 18, etc.  But that is just my opinion.

I probably will never post my times in official races on here, even if I improve, but I will let you know if I get a PR.

I would love to train with someone from this blog, but I have not seen anyone who lives in my area, or even remotely close.  I will keep my eyes out for anyone who posts that lives in my area.  I stay away from area running groups because I am slow, but going out with one person every once in a while would be ok.

I also have done sprint distance triathlons, and as with all of my athletic endeavors, I am slow at those as well.  But at least I have been able to finish them, which I know is an accomplishment.  I stopped doing the super competitive ones in my area, and have found another one that I like, and that may be the only one I ever do in the future (although I could change my mind about that).  The one I like is very non-competitive, and the people putting on the event are very friendly and helpful.  They stress fitness and family participation, rather than hard core competition.  Plus, the course is very easy.  My swimming skills were not so great when I started out training for triathlons, but they have gotten a little better, although I know I can still improve a lot in this area.  I have a fear of going downhill very fast on a bike, and I doubt if I will ever overcome that.  Rolling hills on a bike are ok, but not scary, steep downhills.  If anyone is interested in the triathlon I mentioned, I can post the website.

Every May and June I participate in Corporate Challenge with my employer, which is where different companies compete against each other in athletic events.  I have participated in this for three years now, ever since my company started doing it.  In the individual (non-team) events, you are limited to usually 2 male and 2 female competitors in each age catagory.  Because of this, they usually try to get the fastest/best people that are available.  Because I am in an older age group, and there are usually only one or two of us that participate in that age group, I am automatically given a participation spot, even though I am slow.  Does anyone else have a Corporate Challenge in their area, and if so, do you participate?

I would like to go on a fitness vacation, such as to The Biggest Loser ranch or something similar, but I know they are very expensive.

Just miscellaneous thoughts from me.

Dec 7, 2010
    1,479. Jan 21, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to SloMo2)

So let me begin by saying I am really proud of myself for actually doing the whole 5 min segment time on the W4D2 of the C25k. I ended up repeating the workout 3 times and it took me about 35-40 min. There was alot of snow on the ground which could be why I was really really slow. But I got home and I felt so good!!!!!

SloMo 2- I think I am a turtle not a penguin because I think I did a 17mm. And the route I did last night was about 2 miles or less. I have done 2 sprint Tri's here in Vermont. Both out in Colchester and they were in July. My first one I finished last and since it was my first I am just happy I finished. My second triathlon was 2 years ago and I did not finish last (yay me!) and it was also fun. I am doing it again this year I am just waiting to sign up when the registration is offered online. I totally get your miscellaneous thoughts because I have thought about a few of the same things that you have mentioned. Good luck with your running SloMo 2 and have a great weekend!

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Started C25K 12/15/10

Dec 7, 2010
    1,480. Jan 21, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to Liprippa)

Liprippa, I could so do both!

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,481. Jan 21, 2011 7:45 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

"Nobody cares if you're not a good dancer. Just get up and dance. The same holds true for racing, whether first or last, we all cross the same finish line. Just get out there and run"!

This was a quote of the day from Runners World. by Dean Karnazes, Ultrarunner and Best Selling Author.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• Laumau Amateur 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    1,482. Jan 21, 2011 7:51 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

Love that quote!

I think Dean Karnazes might have been mentioned in the book Born to Run. I just finished this book and it was very interesting and entertaining. The thing that I took away from it more than anything is that running is good and natural for a human being. It seems like every time I tell someone (not that I've told very many people) that I've started running they have similar reactions- that's great, I could never do it, and be careful because you'll wreck (insert body part here.) After reading the book I feel more confident that I'm doing something good, not dangerous or crazy. lol. I may still be crazy of course, but not because I'm running.

I ran 3 miles today at a 14:03 minute per mile pace. That's a record for me! Of course I've only run that far about 4 times. But still.

Keep on keepin' on my waddling Friends- Penguins Rock!

My races:

First 5K, RRISD Project Grad, 3/5/11- 36:25
    Georgetown Red Poppy 5K, 4/17/11- 32:30

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,483. Jan 21, 2011 8:21 AM (in response to MamaBear56)

MamaBear

"I know it took me quite a while to get in this condition and I can't  expect to turn it around in 2 months but still I want to go faster and  further.  I also know I want to do this for life and I want it to be  something I do for fun so I need to stop fretting about time and  distance right now.  Being hard on myself, being competitive, and not  wanting to look totally silly can really cause me issues sometimes."

Stress will make you weak and greatly increase the difficulty of your run. Part of your training should include getting rid of the worry. The race is a great personal experience!  Recognize that you are one of a very small % of people who could and an even smaller % of people who do.  Put a smile on your face and relax as you start the race and it will greatly enhance the experience.

As for the race itself, the most important thing to do is to avoid getting caught up in the excitement of the start and the burst of energy tat goes with it. Start much slower than it feels that you can. Remember the race is long and you want to think about the last couple of miles and reserve your energy or those. Once under way take your first walk break very early. Say after 3 minutes of running.  Take this as a break where you get your plan firmly on track. You will be feeling great. But it is most important to keep to your plan. Take the walking breaks before you feel as if you need to.  Remember to smile and relax. Enjoy the trip and the people around you. Don't worry about the time. Just keep moving and smiling. When you cross the finish line remember to stick around a while and cheer for those who are comming in behind you. They will appreciate it and you will have a greater perspective on our own accomplishment!

I really congratulate you on your comittment to your goal!  Go Girl!

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

Dec 3, 2010
    1,484. Jan 21, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Hi SloMo2 -- I'm right in your speed definition for "penguin".  Since I do combination run/walk, for a 3 to 5 mile "run" I generally come in at about  15 to 18 min mile pace, depending on how I feel that day and the length of the run.  I can do speed intervals at a little under a 10 min mile, but not maintain that pace for very long.  Since I am just taking up biking, we'll see how I do there (hooray didn't fall off new bike yesterday).

As for fitness vacations, Road Scholar offers some -- they're not "biggest loser" type things by any means -- their food is always great and plentiful.  They used to be Elderhostel but they've dropped their minimum age requirement and are working to offer more active trips.  I'm going on a weeklong hiking expedition next week -- Valley of Fire, Death Valley and Zion.  This trip includes geological lecture on the features of each hike on the way to and during the hike.  Usually their lecturers are retired professors or similar type experts.  Each trip is rated for activity level so you know what to expect.  When I booked this trip, I also looked at trips that included longer, faster hikes and also extensive bicycling -- they sounded fun. They offer a very wide variety of trips in the US and all over the world. Their website is www.roadscholar.com (I think) -- if that takes you to a truck driving school, try www.roadscholar.org or also www.elderhostel.org will take you there.  Their fees are a little high, but a very good value for what is included -- they are non-profit.  I've been on several of their trips and they are always good and the other attendees are very friendly.  Last fall I went on a 3 week trip to Greece and Turkey -- it was great and they walked my legs off!  I ate like crazy and still lost a couple of lb.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...