Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

886389 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 297 Previous Next
  • MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,575. Jan 31, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to Scrufffy)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Jack - the hubby is not a runner but he has a life long fitness habit.  He will be 60 in Sept and we have about 40 years of his exercise logs.  His favorite thing is hiking and walking.  He logged over 2300 miles last year alone.  Do I sound like I'm bragging....I am a little.  I'm very proud of him.  If I would have stayed so dedicated all these years this getting into shape and healthy would sure be easier now.  Another cool thing is that he is so supportive of my efforts and he takes all kinds of folks hiking and is happy to go at their pace so they can enjoy it. 

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,576. Jan 31, 2011 5:58 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Maria

For most of us penguins it would not be advisable to do two hard runs in a row. If the 5k is just to participate and finish, and you are used to runing two days in a row, have at it.

If on the other hand, 9 miles is near your longest distance, and or  the 5k is an actual "race" to you, I would err on the "take a day off" side, and start a new week doing your 9 mile next weekend.

Just a note, I am great for advising others to take it easy, and not so good at it myself and have the scars to prove it!

Good running. Let us know how the 5k goes.

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,577. Jan 31, 2011 5:57 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

MamaB

That's great!!!     I am 64 and all of my runs are by myself.       I think I live in the running wasteland of the south.   My wife supports me, but she is more worried about my running than enthusiastic.

Many many years ago, in my first running career, I lived in tidewater Va.    I had dozens of places to run and a number of groups of fellow runners to share the road with.   The day I set my own Half Marathon record (1:36) I ran step for step (until the last 200 yards) with a fellow I had probably logged over 200 miles with over the previous year.  I really miss those times and the shared training runs (and the 32 inch waist). Now I get to share my running triummphs, trials and tribulations with the fine folks here on Active Communinty.

Maybe some day we will have an AC 5k where a lot of us could get together and share a run.  I'd chip in for the T shirts!

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,578. Jan 31, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to Scrufffy)

Maria,

Part of me agrees with Jack and the other part of me says that you should take your miles when you can get them.  Making time for a long run is not easy, so if you can get your 9 miles in go for it.  You never know what might come up that prevents you from getting it done.

I tried to run my long run on Saturday but I just couldn't do it.  (I wrote about my trouble here:  http://www.runningitoff.com/10-mile-do-over).  I ended up running 3 on Saturday, and 10 on Sunday and I was fine.   I'd say get the miles where you can.  Someone wise once said that you never regret the runs you take, only the ones you don't.

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• trottergirl Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    1,579. Feb 1, 2011 8:32 AM (in response to Donna914)

greetings from the foggy san joaquin valley!  allllllllrighty then - we're off and running (so to speak...) hubby (51) and i (43) just did W1D1 yesterday and it was not near as scary as i thought...  in fact, we ENJOYED it!  very, very excited - it's hard not to overdo and do W1D2 tonite!  but it says to REST so we will

have a great day everyone - stay warm and safe!  lisa anne

• Lizard28 Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    1,580. Feb 1, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Well lets try this again, I am apparently also having problems responding.  When I tried to respond last night there wasn't even the link to respond.  I don't think the site liked me to much yesterday lol

SloMo2, people saying Im walking because of my speed is a pet peeve of mine as well.  If they were to see me they could obviously see that I am running lol.  I blame it on my short legs and the fact that I like going slower it feels better for me.  We got some pretty bad weather here so I will be doing most of my training on the treadmill plus I hate being cold.  I can not wiat for spring and summer to come.  I am sorry to hear about your watch

Scruffy, yeah I like sleep a lot too lol but I have always wanted to do the Chicago Marathon and a 50K.  I will aim for Chicago next year I have wanted to do them so that I can say I did them.  Granted when I though in my head how long it would take to run it I was thinking well thats a work day lol

How do you get the signatures on here?  I haven't seen anything to add them on here.  I haven't messed around on the site to much up until the last few days but I am  having fun with it!

Feb 6, 2010
    1,581. Feb 1, 2011 8:50 AM (in response to Lizard28)

Hi Lizard

To add a signature, go to My Active (top right corner, near your screen name) then click on Edit Profile, which is near the top on the left on the My Active page.

Hope that helps!

--Laura

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,582. Feb 1, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

Hi all, so I am repeating W5 workouts this week. The W5D3 workout scared me silly. I knew I wouldn't be able to go 20 min without stopping. I checked out the Robert Ullrey C25K podcast. I did the W5D1 and wow it was awesome. So forgive me for not remembering who suggested Robert Ullrey but I thank you!!!! I am looking forward to the D2 workout on the podcast. The music definately gets you into the mood. Anyway, I was going to go to the gym after work but Vermont is now getting the snow storm and the roads I hear are not the greatest. So I will probably slip my boots on when I get home and go out for a walk in this weather.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• tkitzy Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    1,583. Feb 1, 2011 5:02 PM (in response to Donna914)

I'm not sure where everyone is, but so much of the country is getting hit with some serious weather. I'm sure someone out there can relate to my weather woes. I'm in Colorado and honestly cannot remember when it was so cold. The overnight low tonight is -21. I decided not to brave the icy streets today to go to the gym today, so I'm doing a workout with the hubby tonight in the basement. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym and can't wait for slightly warmer temperatures for an outdoor run on Friday.

Anyhow, I think the feeling that I must be inside is making me cranky. Can anyone relate?

• FeezyUSA Expert 58 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    1,584. Feb 1, 2011 5:33 PM (in response to tkitzy)

I can totally relate to the crankiness / cabin fever. I'm in CT and we seem to be stuck inside at least once a week this winter. It's driving me nuts. I can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow and run run run.

Started C25K October 18th, 2010 - Graduated December 28th, 2010

B210K: W5D1 February 18, 2011

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    1,585. Feb 1, 2011 5:45 PM (in response to runningangelinvt)

I just recently discovered the Robert Ullrey C25K podcasts, also.  I had not been able to get into some other podcasts but have been diligently working at my own pace.  SO, today I jumped right into the Week 6 day 2 podcast and was fairly easily able to complete it without having to walk any.  I was thrilled.  I had actually meant to play the week 4 but since it was on an old "iPod shuffle" I couldn't see which one and didn't hear the beginning because I was getting set up, etc.  Anyway, I did great and really loved the music, etc.  So I highly recommend his podcasts.  The music was more in sync with my particular stride so it worked really nice for me.   Waddle on, friends.      I am so proud to call myself a runner, penguin or otherwise.  and I logged 91 miles for January!!  WOOOHOOO!

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• Lizard28 Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    1,586. Feb 1, 2011 10:17 PM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

Yes it did help me thank you   

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    1,587. Feb 1, 2011 11:40 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am 52 years old and started running in 2007 to lose weight, so far I have lost 60 pounds.

I am currently training for my 4th full marathon, the Southern Indiana Classic in April and I just signed up for the Chicago Marathon.

The Chicago Marathon will be my 5th marathon and my 1st World Major.

I have started a blog to document my journey from overweight, out of shape, couch potato to marathon runner.

I would appreciate any and all comments to my blog and please check out my sponsors as they make my blog possible.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Art

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,588. Feb 2, 2011 6:09 AM (in response to tkitzy)

Hi tkitzy- I live in Vermont and I can so relate to how you feel. I prefer doing my run/jog/walk program (c25k) outside than inside on a treadmill. Although the other night I was on a treadmill at my local gym and it went better than I had expected. even though we are getting dumped on by lots of snow I am heading out on my lunchbreak to do my W5D2 workout. I also can not wait until the warmer weather!!!!!!!

Be Safe!

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

Feb 6, 2010
    1,589. Feb 2, 2011 6:14 AM (in response to Art Davis)

Hi Art,
    I'll check out your site and add you to my blogroll on my site.   I've been writing my blog for a year now, and have lost 20 pounds so far from running.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...