Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

920134 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,725. Feb 16, 2011 7:01 PM (in response to susanbarron)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I love my Forerunner 305, on 1/23/2011  I put a post on my blog outlining its features.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think.

I wish I could help you with your issues with the website.

I ran 3.5 miles this evening training for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,726. Feb 16, 2011 7:04 PM (in response to Dini A)

Hi I just started running last year before I turned 43 and I'm totally hooked,  I'm trying to get my almost 10 yr old daughter to try it. I'm sure she would love it as much as I.

• Dini A Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    1,727. Feb 16, 2011 7:12 PM (in response to flamomof3)

My daughter watched me run my first 2 races and then decided that she would rather

be running than standing around!! that did it! She is running the Chi Marathon with me this year!! GOD love her! Get your daughter to the running store and have her try out shoes and socks and get her a outfit just to run in ...trust me it will get her started! If you have a Marshalls or TJMaxx they are the BEST places to get running gear cheap.. Best of luck..

Im at this moment trying to get a route to do my 14miler this weekend. I use map my run and boy it gives you exact routes and distances..its free and you can log your runs right off your garmin so you have a record of how much you ran wht route and how long it too !! LOVE the site and its FREE!!!

Not sure who was looking for a Garmin..ut I have the forerunner 305 and love it but there will be runs that I will do without it just so I can run for the heck of it and not as a training run..

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,728. Feb 16, 2011 9:15 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Susan B

"I am thinking about buying a garmin or like product since I will be  running in some unfamiliar cities in the next few months and would like  to know how far I'm going in an out and back and not get lost!!"

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110  It is the least expensive of the Garmin models.  I bought it without the heart rate monitor at Road Runners Sports.  You can join their VIP club for $2 and it will save you 10% plus shipping on almost everything.

None of the units I looked at were dead simple, but the 110 is pretty easy to use. You just have to be patient while it is finding the sattelites and when charging or downloading the data to the free software.

It will keep track of time, distance, speed, pace, grade, and altitude for each run and will store a number of runs so you don't have to download them each time you run.  You can see total time and distance at a glance while ou are running. You can set the "lap length" at anything from .25 to 1 mile and it will beep at you and give you the lap time and pace at the end of each lap durig your run.

When you down load the data, it keeps track of the data and presents some graphic presentations so you can see how your run went.  You can either down load software and keep alll your data on your own confuser, or upload the data from your watch to some Garmin hosted software, or both. If you have the heart rate band, it will give you a graph of your HR all along the route you run.

There are models with a lot more feathres and they cost more. A while bac there was a company selling a more sophisticated Garmin for $139, so you may woant to search around for the best price if and when you buy.

Hope this helps.

Good running

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,729. Feb 17, 2011 7:05 AM (in response to Dini A)

Welcome Dini! 8 HM's! You are an inspiration to me!

My husband got me a Garmin 305 for my birthday this past December. I love it and do not know how I trained for anything without it! My running times have improved tremendously since I have been using my Garmin. I highly recommend it to anyone and you can get it for around 120 bucks on Amazon.com

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,730. Feb 17, 2011 8:12 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

WOW! I must have missed a lot of drama in the last few days.  I run and I love to run.  my times are slow and I don't mind it at all.  I am 46yrs old with bad knees and I will never be fast but I get out there and run to keep fit and it works for me.  I also like the bling that I get from the races!  I ran 5 miles this morning in a watery mess.  47 degrees was a heat wave!  I was able to wear less layers and no gloves.  Tomorrow it will be warmer and I am thinking of running a quick 3 miler for the heck of it.  I am lovin' this weather!!!!!

• Im4rhill Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    1,731. Feb 17, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to Katweb44)

Kudos!  You're having fun and staying healthy!  That's what counts!  I used to have problems with my shins until I started upgrading my running shoes regularly.  This may help you as well.  I tried on a lot of different brands and models until I found a comfortable pair make for my foot.  But the best way to tell if you have the right shoes for you is to run in them.  I actually bought three different pairs of running shoes in a month and finally settled on one. It was worth the effort to prevent pain and injury.   Good Luck!

• Im4rhill Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    1,732. Feb 17, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to Dini A)

Thanks for the tip!  I'm headed to Marshall's now to look for gear.  If you have a smart phone, the app "Endomondo" is realtime web-supported, GPS tracking tool as well..

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    1,733. Feb 17, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to Donna914)

Ran 3.5 miles last night on the treadmill, hoping tonight to run at least that much outside.

Currently I am training for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon in April at Evansville, Indiana.

Friday will be a day off to rest up for Saturday my goal is to run 20 miles outside.

Waddle ON!

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• deleteseptember201218act Expert 44 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    1,734. Feb 17, 2011 2:23 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi there,

My name is Rocky and I am definitely a slow runner. I would like to join your forum because I need to be held accountable for my running or lack of and it would be nice to chill with other "penguins". Love the animal by the way.

I started last year with C25K and made it up to running 3-4 miles regularly during the week. Life and body got in the way and I'm struggling to get back into it. So that's me. Hope to read some interesting stuff on here and I can see I have 116 pages to getting reading on haha.

Oh, and my running time is about 19min per mile. Yes, I'm really not kidding. I'm out there and could care less about what others think of my time.

Happy trails!

Completed Events...

Raincross Run 2010 - 5K - February 20th - 59:16 (I know, slow, but I did it)

Walk for Kids by 100 Mile Club - 5K - March 13th - 59:00

March of Dimes - March for Babies 4.5 miles - April 24th

Graduated the C25K program - May 3rd

Cool Runnings 5K Beginner program - W3D2

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,735. Feb 17, 2011 2:35 PM (in response to Dini A)

she's definately a Maxanista (lol) we shop there alot! Great Idea on the oufit, she already has a good pair of Asics.

Apr 26, 2009
    1,736. Feb 17, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to flamomof3)

That is my gift to me. I buy myself a new shirt for every race..cannot go wrong with $9. then I use it to train in year round..over long sleeves in our Chicago winters and by itself in the summers!! LOVE IT!!

My daughter gets one too. Talk about motivation..she wears her race shirt to school the next day and gets gawked at.."wow you ran a half? Cool!!" she loves the attention. BTW I run for the bling..Love it!!!

Apr 26, 2009
    1,737. Feb 17, 2011 2:52 PM (in response to Art Davis)

wish you lived nearby..Id join you in waddling :-) I need to get 14 done this week end..Big Sur 21 miler coming up.

Plod on buddy, I'll be doing the same and empathyising!!!

• paddleon Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    1,738. Feb 17, 2011 4:36 PM (in response to Dini A)

Hello folks. Anyone in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC? Im looking for someone to run my 2nd 5k with and help push me. I run 12-13 mm..

Im probably signing up for

http://www.active.com/running/durham-nc/the-equinoxalizer-5k-2010

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    1,739. Feb 17, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to Donna914)

On Monday did my last long run before the HM on 2/26 - 11 miles.  Now I have six more 3 milers in then next two weeks and then it's race day.  I'm pretty excited about my very first race...and nervous.  Having trouble getting on the TM this evening but need to get to it soon.

My oldest daughter is starting to express some interest in running.  I loaned her "The Courage to Start" and "Marathon Trainer for Non-Runners".  She joined weight watchers and has lost 50 lbs this last year and has done lots of walking and hiking.  She has struggled with her weight for years so it so exciting to see her start to turn that around.

Congrats to all those that have ran or are preparing to run a race.  I watch your progress to keep me going

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...