Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777161 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 297 Previous Next
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,830. Feb 24, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to theconster)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hello and Welcome

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,831. Feb 24, 2011 8:17 AM (in response to flamomof3)

MamaBear! Good luck on your first HM on Saturday! I am impressed that you have chosen a HM as your very first event and especially after only 13 weeks! Just go and enjoy the experience! Usually the adrenaline from the event will carry you through to better times than you expect!

Welcome to all the new Penquins!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010

Oh2Run,

Thanks for the kind words and for reading my blog!  Keep us posted if the treadmill intervals work to cure treadmill boredom.

Best,
    Laura

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,833. Feb 24, 2011 10:17 AM (in response to theconster)

Welcome, theconster.  What area do you live in?

It is raining here today, which is supposed to change over to snow later, so I will probably do something inside.  Today is supposed to be one of my long mile days, but I don't know if I can take going around in circles many times on an indoor track.  I may do the indoor track, alternating with the treadmill, until I get my miles in.  And maybe if it stops raining for awhile, I can do some of my miles outside.  With a combination of 2 or 3 of these things, hopefully I will get my miles in.  I used to go outside and walk or run in all kinds of weather, but as I get older I have become more of a wimp.  No matter whether I get my miles in or not, I have decided that I will start the walk/run portion of my half marathon training next week, as I cannot wait any longer.  The half marathon is May 1st, and I need to get going on the run part.

There is a 4 mile run here in mid-April that I am thinking of doing, and oddly enough, it is on my birthday.  At first I wondered whether I really wanted to do something on that day, but then I thought it would be a really great way to start out the day.  I like this particular run because they start runners and walkers out in different waves - all the way from elite runners, down to casual walkers.  If I do it, I will be in the wave of "part runner, part walker."  I have done this race twice before, and really liked it.  It is mostly flat and downhill.  The only thing I don't like is that this is one of the most well-attended races in this area, which means thousands of people enter.  But with the wave start, it makes it so that it isn't so bad.

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    1,834. Feb 24, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Hey SloMo2...

I'm in Nebraska...winter weather headed this way again, but hopefully will miss my area...fingers and toes crossed for that. i do the track b/c i'm afraid of the treadmill...balance issues. The only thing i'm not too keen with the track is losing count on my laps. it's 15 lap/mile on short track, and i'm usually counting ahead (six more to go), or count backward (did 7, now on 8)...things like that, then i have to rely on my pedo watch, which isn't so reliable...oh well.

Good luck with your race in April...I was hoping to do a 5k early this summer, but there's one in October that I want to attempt. It's to benefit one of my classmates who tragically died a couple years ago. The course is through pastures and gravel roads, and I haven't ever tried to do anything but flat. We'll see how things go.

I think doing a run on your birthday is cool...an accomplishment too. Go for it!

Thanks for the welcome!

The Conster

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

• MichiganMomma Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    1,835. Feb 24, 2011 11:51 AM (in response to Donna914)

I am so glad that I found this thread.  Just like every one else I thought I was the only one that is a super slow runner! I haven't run in a race yet, I have been afraid I would not be able to run the whole three miles without stopping.  (My first race is in a few weeks the St Paddy's Day 5K March 20th and I am really looking forward to it) I started running in the spring of 2009 It was very hard at first and the first season I really struggled I could not run a full three miles without stopping to walk.  I did the C25K and it helped but because I have two young children, a teenage daughter, a husband,  a full time job, time for running was scarce.  I was very sparadioc at best.  During the summer of 2010, I went on a run with a couple of friends who race and one of them is a slow runner too. I discovered that I was able to run the whole three miles without stopping to walk because I had slowed my pace.  I finally figured out I was running to fast.  Needless to say last summer is when I really got the running bug, I caught it the first time I ran non-stop for three miles. I was running about a 15mm pace.  I improved over the summer and dropped my time to 13mm by September, and I started training for a night time 15 mile 3 man relay race through the woods (each person does a 5 mile stretch).  I was running 4 to 5 miles and keeping my time right around 13mm.  Then our “ringer” hurt her ankle so we did not do the race. Winter came - I live in a semi-rural area of Michigan where we have no sidewalks so running on the side of the road in the ice and snow is not appealing. I am a klutz and I for sure would break something.  So I use my gazelle (not nearly as often as I should) during the winter rather than running.  A little over a week ago we had a melt and it was in the high 40’s I went on my first run of the season which historically is much slower than when I left off.  I feel like I am starting over so I fully expected my times to be closer to 15mm and I seriously expected that I would have to walk parts of it.  When I got done not only did I run the whole three and quarter miles but I was at 13.5mm!  I was so excited! What do others do in the winter?  I kind of like running in the cold, it is the ice and snow that keeps me indoors not the temps, I am very afraid of falling and injuring myself.  FYI- I cannot use a treadmill every time I try to run on a treadmill I end up with shin splints.

Feb 6, 2010
    1,836. Feb 24, 2011 12:37 PM (in response to MichiganMomma)

MichiganMomma -

Can you drive to a nearby town and run there?  I live in Maine and often will go into Portland to run on the sidewalks instead of running on the streets of my town (no sidewalks either!).  When I visited my parents who live in Michigan, I drove to South Haven and ran by the water instead of running in the middle of nowhere where they lived. 

I hate the treadmill so I will run outside when ever possible.  Anytime there's a decent melt, the shoulders will get wide enough to run.  Of course, then it will snow again and I head to the trails with Stabilicer spikes on my shoes!

--Laura

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    1,837. Feb 24, 2011 9:48 PM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

How's everyone doing?

I enjoy reading this thread.

I need 2 more runs to complete the C25k, will be doing W9D2 tonight on the treadmill (gonna pour today). Most of my runs have been on the treadmill, while my shorter runs I push the speed to 5 with no problem, the longer runs I'm s-l-o-w  lol. I think I'm doing a 14-15 minute mile right now, my 5k is April 9th so I have time to work on my speed but there's alot of work to be done.

Running is fun!

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

Dec 14, 2007
    1,838. Feb 25, 2011 7:13 AM (in response to johnmcc22)

Hi Everyone, I ran and walked 4 miles today. Tomorrow I'm going to a near by park to do a one hour boot camp!  I'm excited to do something different

• TX248 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    1,839. Feb 25, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to classicallytrained)

Mike - thanks for the advice. That's very helpful as I've been experimenting with strides myself. I do find the shorter strides help me keep my speed, whereas the longer strides become painful eventually.

• sbrungardt Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    1,840. Feb 25, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to Donna914)

Yay for Penquins! I have always been a slow runner. I probably average about a 13mm. I would like to improve speed, but more than that, I'm glad to have found a 'home'.

I am a very busy wife and mother....trying to get back into a consistent running schedule. I'm currently working on the Couch to 5K program. Prior to finding this, I have always called myself a "slogger" (slow jogger). But I gladly trade being "slogger" for a "Penguin"!

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,841. Feb 25, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to sbrungardt)

Welcome to the thread, S. We're all here rooting for you.  Now you can consider yourself as waddling (walking, jogging, running) rather than slogging, although I bet it still feels as good.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    1,842. Feb 25, 2011 5:32 PM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

You have really neat blog.

I can tell that you have put a lot of work into it.

I keep plugging along on mine trying to make it better, get it where I want it.

One thing is it just seems to take time to get things the way you want them.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Feb 6, 2010
    1,843. Feb 25, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to Art Davis)

Thanks for the kind words, Art.  I just recently revamped my site to a more robust wordpress template.  I have a lot more flexibility now with the look of it and the features, although I'm still not satisfied!  I supposed I will always tinker with it.   I find that writing a blog keeps me accountable and I hope that I can inspire people who are thinking about starting to run for weight loss.

Best,

Laura

Dec 14, 2007
    1,844. Feb 26, 2011 11:21 AM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

Hi Everyone, I went out and did my One Hour Boot had fun but I'll save my $. I will make sure I get up the morning (last sunday alarm didn't go off) to do my long run. I looked forward to those!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...