Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

874374 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 Previous Next
  • AllisonMcAvoy Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,440. Oct 21, 2013 8:56 PM (in response to Katweb44)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Cross train... that will strengthen the muscles in other parts of your body, including your core, to support you while you run. Running will build the muscles you need to run, but it doesn't build the muscles that support those muscles...

You sound like you're taking the sensible approach. Just do as much as your body will allow. When I started running I couldn't use the c25k app because I couldn't run for a whole minute once, let alone several times during a session. I now run for 26 minutes several months later. It's been a long time building up and I've done a lot of weights/cross-training to get there. I had to stop using the c25k app because it wanted me to progress too quickly... what have I learnt? That all runners are different, and we all progress in our own time. That's the beauty of running... it's about 'me'.

• pea2307@hotmail.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2013
    4,441. Oct 31, 2013 10:47 AM (in response to Donna914)

I have been a runner on and off my whole life.  Back in my 20's I ran a 10 minute mile which I thought was slow then.  Fast forward to me being 41 now and just getting back into running after a summer off and I am struggling!  I feel like I can't catch my breath.  I finally got a garmin so I know how fast I am going.  With walk breaks I go about 13 minute mile.  I think I might even need to slow down more.  It's just like I go out too fast and get winded.  Makes me laugh when I say fast, I am not fast.  All I want is to go out and enjoy and be able to run for 30 minutes straight.  I would really like a place to talk to other slow runners.  All the blogs I read are about such fast runners and then I feel bad about it.  This is something we should all feel good about, right?

• shipo Legend 459 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

Funny thing about Penguins/Slow Runners; if they stay at it long enough and frequently enough, they get faster, faster even than real penguins. 

• KCavFit12 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 31, 2013
    4,443. Oct 31, 2013 1:44 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am a penguin as  well! I enjoy running even though i am not fast I can run for miles! Over the years I have defintely gotten better at running and I hope to keep improving over time.

• moshjl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2009
    4,444. Oct 31, 2013 4:17 PM (in response to KCavFit12)

Ha this is funny. I didn't know what that meant until I ran the GR Metro Marathon (first timer). My pace group was called The Penguins.

• angelaswindow Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 30, 2013
    4,445. Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM (in response to shellyruns5)

shellyruns5....I am just starting out and am only on my third week of running.  I have signed up for a 5k in December and I am super excited.  I don't care if I am the last one to cross the finish line as long as I finish.  Good for you that you finished.  Right now I am definitely a penguin

1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...