Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

868173 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 297 Previous Next
  • munecadef Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Aug 18, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to Kristykritter)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

check your local running store.  i am part of a fleet feet training group also for a 1/2 in november.  good luck!

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    76. Aug 18, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to Joy_C)

Joy:

Glad your not giving up!! You've had quite the go of it.

I think shin pain has a different cause for everyone. In my case, I was getting severe shin pain right away and it ended up being my form. I was running heel to toe instead of landing on the balls of my feet. Once I checked out some youtube videos on proper techinique, and ran barefoot for awhile to get proper form,  I am glad to say I have no more shin pain at all!!!! of course I always stretch before and after my runs!

Good luck to you and your journey!!

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• bhatton59 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2010
    77. Aug 19, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to Donna914)

Good luck on your 10K!

I am a slow runner too and Hal Higdon's marathon book got me to the finish line of my first marathon this past June!

You will do great and keep up the good work!

• kah1958 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    78. Aug 19, 2010 4:54 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi - I'm a penguin in Houston Texas.  Glad to know there is a flock of us out there.  Have heart though - my friend and I are signed up to run the Chicago marathon on 10/10/10.  We did one in New Orleans a few years back (at a penguin's pace) and suffice it to say, we have not increased our speed one iota. That's been about 6 yrs. ago.  Hadn't run since then, got a wild hair (not hare) and decided to try it again for Chicago. We're getting in shape, we're having fun and we're getting it done.  We train with a group in Houston.  They aren't penguins but we've solved that issue.  If they leave for a long run at 5 a.m., we leave an hour earlier.  The water stations are set up by the time we get there and we finish about the same time as the "regular" runners.  We try not to pressure ourselves to go faster - faster to us means too much damage to our bodies.  Ran into another penguin - her strategy is - she walks a minute, runs a minute.  We tried that and lo & behold, worked for us.  We average about 13 min. miles overall so we're happy with that.  She used to run the whole way @ a 9 minute mile! but she said she was younger and it was before she got injured.   Anyway, take heart and I'm so glad to know I'm not the lone penguin.

• Vickey11088 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    79. Aug 19, 2010 7:45 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am estatic to have found a thread of slow runners.  I really thought I was the only one!  I began running 2.5 months ago and will participate in the 10-Mile Crim Road Race in Flint, MI next weekend.  I know I will be one of the last to come over the finish line, but after reading this thread, I am not going to stress about it anymore.  What a relief!  Thank you!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    80. Aug 20, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to Kimbre43)

Hey Kimbre43 and Everyone,

Your sofa spot sounds like home to me!!  I'm easily bored, and I always have a stack of books rather than one near my relaxing spot!  Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look for those.  I finished RUNNING FOR MORTALS -- wow, it's a quick read!  And I found another one, I think (I don't have it here at the computer, will post later) INNER RUNNING, about mind-body-spirit running.  I'm intrigued by the psychological aspects of running, and also, wanting to be clearer about my personal motivations for it.  So this book looked perfect.  And I'm planning on picking up a running biography or two later on.  (I found SEABISCUIT at the library, too, so I grabbed that.  I had meant to pick up a copy when that launched, never did.  Hey, horses are certainly runners, too!!)

I think I'm doing a core day today, actually.  I ran the fun run last night, and the other day did a yoga workout.  I use a fitness ball for core.  I'll do crunches on the ball (lying with your lower back on the ball, knees bent, feet on the floor), and push-ups with the ball under my leg, then pull the ball up toward my shoulders using my core (hard to put the moves into words!!).

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-2949-0,00.html

has some moves on a ball.  This isn't the workout I have used, but it looks interesting.http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/how_to_get_a_flat_stomach_fast_dara_torres/p/page/3 is one other series of moves, using the ball but also, I see, using a bunch of other "toys" that  I don't have!

Too funny:  I feel sore this morning, but it's from all the Downward Facing Dog moves in the yoga workout!!!! Hahahahahaha.  I'm in shape to run but outa shape for YOGA.  Go figure!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    81. Aug 20, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to BowieLinda)

Linda and Kimbre43 - I have running books from the library they won't let me renew anymore!  And I have 2 more waiting for me.  They are both Runners World, one is about running for women, the other is running without injury.  I should have read that one  first

John - I am so sorry to hear about your fall and I am so glad you are o.k.  I have fallen a few times either biking or getting tangled in my dogs on walks and it can be jarringly painful.  I run with my Blackberry because I use it for mapping distance and pace, and for music and podcasts.  Hopefully if I fall I don't destroy it.

I found an article by Brian Fullem, DPM that was about ITBS and how to treat it and prevent.  He recommends a 3 phase treatment which is what I have been doing.  My leg is getting better and better.  Yesterday I got on the eliptical with no resistance for 15 minutes and stretched.  Today I did 5 minutes to warm up and stretched.  I told my husband I might try running again on Tuesday.  It will have been 10 days.  He gave me a funny look that I'm not sure what it meant.  Does anyone have any experience with this injury?  Any advice when to start running again?

Welcome to all the new posters!  So glad you could join us penquins.

I really miss my runs, but I am living vicariously through you all

Melinda

• freespirit123 Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 15, 2010
    82. Aug 20, 2010 7:43 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hello fellow penguins!  I just completed my first week of c25k and I am a proud SLOW penguin! Anywho, I was doing some research about local 5K events and found the Annual Penguin Walk, Run, or Waddle in Mystic, CT on October 16th at 9am.  The run/walk helps support the beloved African penguins at the Mystic Aquarium.  I am thinking of signing up and waddling my way through my first 5k.

C25K start date: 8/16/2010

Penguin Run/Walk/Waddle : 10/16/2010

5K Mitten Run : 12/05/2010

• jenilehman Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    83. Aug 20, 2010 9:19 AM (in response to Donna914)

I too am a Penguin though I never knew we had a name!  Good be be part of a group!  I started run/walk with c25k in March of 2009.  I ran my first 5K in July of 2009 in 36 and got the itch so I signed up for a half marathon.  I trained too fast, and ended up with shin splints at the seven mile training mark.  Needless to say, I did not make it to the half but I am still determined to do it some day.  Instead I ran the same 5K this July, in blistering heat and humidity at 38.  I'm surprised though that after 17 months of running I do not find any more endurance or speed.  Trying not to get frustrated.  Glad to find a group like this.

• annrose Amateur 3 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    84. Aug 20, 2010 11:06 AM (in response to BowieLinda)

Also saw that core workout featuring Dara Torres in Shape magazine, because I happened to buy the magazine while having to wait too long at the grocery check out!  I also have a fitness or stability ball, so I was intrigued...until I saw that some of the moves call for using a Bosu ball (expensive) and a medicine ball, which I don't have.  Still I might just try the ones on the stability ball for some new moves other than the ones I've been doing for a long time.  Also, I might buy a medicine ball or two.  I got to try some exercises with those in a boot camp class, which were really neat!  The importance of having a strong core has really been emphasized a lot in many of the running articles I have read over the past few years.  I also swim, so the stronger my core and upper body is, the stronger I can be in the pool, too!

Checked out the Shape magazine website, too.  Looks like they have a whole of exercise and fitness stuff...maybe I'll sign up for an account!

Thanks for sharing!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    85. Aug 20, 2010 4:47 PM (in response to jenilehman)

Welcome, to all of you new Penguin runners!

Jeni, as one very impatient person to (perhaps) another, I can appreciate how frustrating it must be to be over a year into running and not have progressed the way you would like.  But it seems to me that you have learned some things about how to train YOUR body right, no?  Also, one of the running books I'm reading lately, says that it takes about five years for most runners to come into their own, no matter when they start.  Well, that was kind of a downer but it was also sort of encouraging.  I'll be content with feeling less winded, with being able to run longer distance, and so on, even though right now, I am very far from running six or seven miles!  I could be faster if I lost some weight, I think, and I'm working on that -- but I am not a "diet" kinda gal.

I kind of wish I had run some 5Ks or other races when I was in my 20s and 30s, so I would have had a gauge for how fast I might be able to get (it would likely be slower than my fastest time at that age, I'm betting).  I remember feeling good and fit when I was running, but I have absolutely NO idea how long my runs took.  My Mom, who might have remembered when she would come out with me, has dementia now, and so I cannot ask her.

I find that when I feel over anxious about "I should be running" or "why am I not faster/stronger?" then reading running articles and books seems to help.  I found a couple of YouTube videos with running drills in them that I have never done, I really have not (yet) trained to improve my form or strength -- mostly so far I've simply gone out and run.  So I expect that I do have a looooong way!

What sort of workouts do you do, or training runs?  I'm going to have to work on doing runs of different lengths and in different settings, too!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• aussiebird Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    86. Aug 21, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to BowieLinda)

BowieLinda wrote:

I could be faster if I lost some weight, I think, and I'm working on that -- but I am not a "diet" kinda gal.

Couldn't have said it better myself- glad to see there is a group I naturally afiliate with, slow running and not into starving! I'm with a C25K group and really just want to complete- now completed W3D2. Actually, looking at that even impresses me considering all the years i'd convinced myself that, even though I'd like to be a runner, it was 'bad' for me.

• Vickey11088 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    87. Aug 22, 2010 12:50 PM (in response to Donna914)

Its been several hours, but I am still smiling from my "runners high".  Yes, even sloggers get them!  My goal today was a long one, it was to run for 2 hours.  I ran/walked (4 min run-1 min walk), for 1 hr 50 min! 8 miles total, yippy.

• aussiebird Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    88. Aug 22, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to Vickey11088)

Do you have problems with aching legs after such a long run?

• PunkyJ Rookie 3 posts since
    May 10, 2009
    89. Aug 22, 2010 2:46 PM (in response to scubamichele)

I started walking about 5 years ago and have completed 5 half-marathons. I started at about a 19 minute mile but have never gotten faster than 16 min and only for 5K's . I recently started intervals, 4 min. walking and 1 jogging. I do 2 miles 3X weekly and a long workout on Sat. I recently upped one of my 2 miles to 2.5 and plan to do 3 next week in preparation for my next 5k Labor Day.

Jan

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...