Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

902936 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Susan Saenger Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    810. Dec 2, 2010 9:21 AM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hi Penguins! I'm new to this Thread, but glad to find it. People are always surprised to learn that I'm a slow runner, because I'm pretty fit overall. I'm just not built for speed, I guess. But I have been working on it. I have gotten to the point where I can run 5 miles in 55 minutes. Well, I did that one time. And I've also run a single 10 minute mile. That is my goal - to be able to sustain that. I started out at like 15 minute miles. I got it down to 13, then 12... I do think running short distances at your target speed is the thing. I worked on a track and did what they call "repeats": Just one lap at at time (a quarter mile or 400 meters) resting a bit in between. One person told me that running longer distances might actually slow me down because I could try to preserve energy for the long haul and end up training myself to run slower. I'm not sure. I did a little of both.

Anyway, now I need some fresh motivation! It's cold out there. I don't really love this running thing, but I feel like I shouldn't slack off and lose the progress I've made. Help! Tell me to keep it up, please!

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    811. Dec 2, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Do you have a knee brace.  I have bad knees and m thinking that I have arthritis as in them as well.  I have recently started wearing knee braces.  They are helping and they add a layer of warmth for these cold days.  It was snowing windy and cold for my run yesterday and I froze out there so since today is about 10 degrees colder and I ran two days in a row I'm taking a brake today and staying inside.  I think its hard to run in the cold but I hate the treadmill!

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    812. Dec 2, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to Susan Saenger)

It's real hard to stay motivated in the cold weather but I find that if I give myself a treat at the end of it, I can make myself go out and run.  My fav' is Starbucks skinny latte.  I end all my runs at the front door of Starbucks and I have a card so I don't have to bring money.  Its pretty awesome and it makes the .75 mile walk home a little warmer.  If I run on the treadmill I try to plot the downfall of the ground hog as I know he will see him shadow!  Last year he got away but this year I'll get him!!Hahahahaha!

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    813. Dec 2, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to truthbringer)

You know I just bet you are some big, sloppy guy who sits in front of his computer all day unable to walk around the block, let alone run it.  And that's why you are so angry at everyone who is at least doing something.

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    814. Dec 2, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

QueenKitty:  I have reported truthbringer's posts as abusive and I encourage others to do the same.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    815. Dec 2, 2010 10:50 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

QueenKitty wrote:

"It's very hard to understand in the beginning that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners.  Eventually you learn that the competition is with the little voice inside you that wants to quit."  Dr. George Sheehan

I love your sig quote, QueenKitty. That's exactly what I feel. I'll never be the fastest runner. Heck! I'll probably never be fast at all, especially not at my age, but I'm so proud of myself for getting out there and moving my feet. I have suffered from depression for many years and on the days that I run, it's not a problem. I feel such a sense of accomplishment. I try to keep that in mind when I lose my motivation especially on these cold days. I've been fighting a cold too and have not been able to run and that's really messing with my mind. I do so much better when I can just get out there and move. My best run is the run I just did regardless of the time. I do work on speed. I do study different running techniques (chirunning and the pose method and barefoot running or in aqua socks) but I have to accept that at the end of the day, that nasty voice in my head is my real competition.

Hope you happy runners are having a good day.

~ Nita

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    816. Dec 2, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to vcackerman)

Yeah, what he said!!!  That's what its all about!!!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

Aug 3, 2010
    817. Dec 2, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to Susan Saenger)

Susan Saenger:  I don't know where you live except that it's cold where you are, but we're having the start of winter here in NE Illinois.  I also do repeats during the summer on our high school track.  I run with a partner who is my speed or slightly faster, and we do anything from 400 meters to mile repeats, with one lap walking between.  Doing these with someone is a great way to avoid slacking off.  For me, longer runs at a slower pace and faster repeats (never on the same day) are a good combination.

I don't know if you do races, but wintertime motivation for me is looking ahead and entering one or two spring races now.  I put them on the calendar and that's my incentive.  I mix in some core and upper body cross training two or three days a week during the winter too as a good change of pace.  I'm not a cold-weather person either, so during January and February it's off to the gym.  Anyway, just think of spring in a few months and you will get through winter just fine.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    818. Dec 2, 2010 12:04 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am working on getting my nerve up to attend tonight's Triangle Front Runners track workout.  It seems like an ideal way to keep motivation, gain incentive and get accustomed to running in front of strangers (LOL) to work toward my future goal of a 5K race in March.  I mean, if I can't run on a track with new people, how will I ever do a race?  I just need to shake off my insecurities.  I'm 56, got crying out loud.  I've got nothing to prove except to myself, right???!   SO, can I do it?????    I sure hope so.  I really want to be grown up sometimes! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

Aug 3, 2010
    819. Dec 2, 2010 12:56 PM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

MelisssaWood:  Go to the track workout.  You won't be running in front of anyone; there will not be a row of people with clipboards evaluating you.  You may well find several other runners who are there for the first time.  You won't know until you go, so just go.  Remember, they are strangers only once.

I'm 64 and it took me a few months to realize that people will form their opinions not by how fast you are, but who you are as a person.  I'm one of the slowest in my running club, but no one cares.  Earlier this year, five of us did a race in our area.  I was the last to finish.  We took a group picture and then went to breakfast.  No one said a word about finishing times.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

Nov 2, 2010
    820. Dec 2, 2010 1:04 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve.  Yep, I'm going to go.  I should just get over myself.  LOL.  I'm sure it isn't about me or what I look like.  hahahahahaha.   I am just pleased to be fit enough to give it a go, so I will do it!  Thanks for your encouraging words - must appreciated!  And way to go for you, too!  I know that had to have felt good to be in the race! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Keep on running!

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    821. Dec 2, 2010 1:27 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hey guys! The advantage of being slow is there are always people at the finish line to cheer us on! LOL since all of my friends finish ahead of me (but I ride or drive with them) they have to wait for me to finish!

Sometimes there are even super nice people like happybarb who help me run it in at the end!

Run this morning

****************************************************************************************************

Ok it was freaking cold! It was about 20 degrees -- some of my skin literally froze!

But I had a great run -- first 1 mile was freezing and I had a hard time breathing... but I just focused on the breathing!

Made myself run 4:2 for the first 2 miles... after 2 miles it got much better.

I ran a WHOLE mile without stopping at the end... new record for me!

I looked like a plodding penguin ... but who cares, a girl has to have goals.

My R leg is still bothering me... people keep telling me its IT band, but its not on the outside of my leg at all, more inside knee and front of thigh.

Gets stiff when I sit... and get better as I walk around!

Saturday is my first official long run ... 7 miles... OMG can I do it?

Good luck to everyone -- and just ignore the stupid people

Mellisa: GET OUT THERE! OMG ... I go on fun runs with the local running club and I am SOOO slow... no one my speed at all. And everyone is sooo nice. I stayed after for the first time for the pizza/beer and listened to them tell stories about their marathons... LOL and one guy mentioned that he ran a marathon in 3 hours which is faster than I will likely finish my half marathon... NO ONE CARED! Everyone was soo supportive, telling me I will do awesome... and this from more elite runners!!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• Dlwgolfpro Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 10, 2010

Willwrite4chocolate,

I am like you in the respect I will never be a fast runner--if truth be known I walk 95% of the time because I can't trust my legs due to the MS.  But it doesn't bother me in the least to be at the back of the pack.  In fact, when the volunteers see me they know their day is almost over (lol) and they always cheer me on. I agree with you that the best run/walk is the one you just completed. Although I would like be able to run and be competitive in distance events, it just isn't in the cards for me. So I will continue to walk at my 15 minute mile pace and enter marathons where they allow walkers, and where they give us 7 hours to complete the course.

I may not be fast, but I have one heck of a good time with everyone I see along the course.  And I have never had anyone make fun of me or put me down because I take the maximum amount of time to complete a race.  I wear my close-to-last-place-finish as a badge of honor and laugh all the way around the course.  When I cross the finish line and there are only a few people there to cheer for me, I let them know how much I appreciate their support by giving them all a high five. (Of course, they may have to come to my chair to get it-lol) The running community truly cares about each other, and it shows in the respect they give all of us.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Dave

PS-I am thinking of entering the Dick's Sprting Goods Marathon in Pittsburgh, PA next April.  Has anyone on the forum participated in it in the past?

Nov 2, 2010
    823. Dec 2, 2010 1:44 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

Thanks for the support.   I believe I can and will do it!!  

and good luck on your upcoming long run.  How awesome!

This is such a great group. 

Keep on running!

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    824. Dec 2, 2010 1:49 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Go, go, go!!!!!  I would do anything (well, many things) to have a group, or even another person to jog with....get yur shoes on and get outta here

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...