Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

829830 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Vickey11088 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Aug 22, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to aussiebird)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Funny you asked, mainly my knees stay sore for days.  I have no problem walking around and such, but for days afterwards it hurts to go up and down stairs nor can I run again for about 3-4 days.  I apply ice after every run no matter what.  I just can't get around it.  The pain is at its worse though if I attempt to run any faster then I currently do, so a Penguin I will stay, and thats ok for me.  I just don't want to give up running!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    91. Aug 23, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to Vickey11088)

Vickey:  I'm wondering if your knee pain is due to shoes that either have too many miles on them or are not the right type.  If neither is the case (that is, if you change every 300-400 miles and if you've been properly fitted at a specialty running store), then you might want to seek some medical help.  Alternatively, maybe your gait/stride needs to be modified.  I would hate to see your problem worsen to the point that you can't do what you obviously enjoy so much.  I was getting shin pain until I was advised by other runners to get new shoes at no more than 500 miles.  I now change at 400 miles and I don't have the shin problems.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Shelley Bujold Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    92. Aug 23, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Hi - I am also a 'penguin' and have been all 6 years I've been running. I completed my first half marathon in June and it was an amazing accomplishment! It was just under 3 hours. But one thing I've learned, and only just before this marathon, is about shoes. I wasn't buying the right ones and got discouraged when I was getting hurt or my muscles were sore, even on short runs. I put money into a pair that fit perfectly - and it made a huge difference. I was able to go on long runs and come back pain free, even if I was tired. I think this will make a difference in speed over the long run as well - but, like most of you, it's more about the enjoyment not the competition.

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    93. Aug 23, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to Vickey11088)

WOOOOO!   Vicky!  Awesome running! Congratulations!  I also took a long run (for me) today!  A 5K.  So now I have more confidence that I can do that distance.   I sure was not pleased with the time, but, now I know I can finish that event!

Welcome new Penguins!  Glad to have you with us!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    94. Aug 23, 2010 6:47 PM (in response to BowieLinda)

Vicky - I salute you! That's an awesome distance.

One of the things that discouraged me from running was the idea I had that you 'had' to run at a certain speed to be a runner, to get any advantage from running as an exercise. Never have I been so glad to be so wrong. I'm not the slowest person in the world - I ran almost 5K today at roughly a 12:00 pace but frankly, I don't care. It's a speed that right now, only 6 weeks into running, I find I can maintain. It's work - my body makes that perfectly clear - but it's a level of work I can sustain, which is clearly showing benefits & which I'm truly beginning to enjoy.

Ultimately, that's what it's all about for me, staying with an activity where I'm working but which I enjoy. Running at Penguin pace does it for me.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Vickey11088 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    95. Aug 24, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to SlogOn)

I was away from my computer for while.  Thanks so much for all the replies and encouragement.  I must say after that 8 mi run Sunday, I can't even begin to describe the uplifted, happy, practically giddy feeling I had all day.

I have been a "yoyo" exerciser my entire life, but until I began to run, well, it's hard to describe.  Maybe the best way to put it, I feel like an Athlete for the first time in my life.  I am trying right now to take care of my knee so I don't screw it up more.  At this point, I don't think I have a major injury (fingers crossed), and as soon as my 10 Mi race is complete Saturday, I am taking a break and going back to training like I had never run before.

I think my shoes are fine, I replaced shoes in early July and they feel great, and no more blisters!

Again, thanks for the support everyone. I will let you all know how Saturday goes!

• runkitcatrun Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    96. Aug 24, 2010 8:58 AM (in response to Donna914)

I just ran my first 5K. I have to say, it was hard to keep my pace when EVERYONE seemed to be passing me at the beginning. Yet I knew if I tried to keep up, I would never complete it at a run. I'm sure I will always be a penguin, but I do hope to improve my time somewhat.

Started C25K June 22, 2010 - Haven't run for 25 years.

Completed 1st 5K on August 22, 2010 with my sister, daughter and 2 nieces

Oktoberfest 9/18 with sisters and brother, daughter (10K), eldest son, Mom, Dad, and 2 neices - First PR 35:28

Race for the Cure, Eugene, OR in the pouring rain! Ran with my sister, daughter, 2 sons, and 2 nieces. New PR of 33:59. Injured and on the sidelines for a while.

I plan on running the whole thing!

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    97. Aug 24, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to runkitcatrun)

Congratulations, KitCat! Keep it up!!!

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• kah1958 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    98. Aug 24, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to runkitcatrun)

Congrats on finishing.  What I've discovered is sometimes, even though I'm running a penguin race, the people who zip past me at the beginning, fall behind at the end because they can't pace themselves.  Keep doing what you're doing.

Jan 13, 2008
    99. Aug 24, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to runkitcatrun)

Well done, Kitcat! I have no doubt some of those who zipped by you at first, you later 'waddled' by closer to the end. As long as you met YOUR goals, your placing/time doesn't matter.

• runkitcatrun Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    100. Aug 24, 2010 11:35 AM (in response to SlogOn)

Thank you! I am in total agreement. Time doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm 46 years old, overweight, and running again. That's cause for celebration. And I did pass quite a few people, mostly running UP a hill at my slow speed as they had slowed to a walk. It was a fun run, so there were probably a few weekend warriors out there. I felt trained and ready.

Started C25K June 22, 2010 - Haven't run for 25 years.

Completed 1st 5K on August 22, 2010 with my sister, daughter and 2 nieces

Oktoberfest 9/18 with sisters and brother, daughter (10K), eldest son, Mom, Dad, and 2 neices - First PR 35:28

Race for the Cure, Eugene, OR in the pouring rain! Ran with my sister, daughter, 2 sons, and 2 nieces. New PR of 33:59. Injured and on the sidelines for a while.

I plan on running the whole thing!

Jan 13, 2008
    101. Aug 24, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to runkitcatrun)

Ah haha! I knew it. You were the SMART runner - doing what you knew was best for YOU & in the end it paid off. You are an athlete & passing those people WALKING on an uphill certainly would have made me smile very scretly to myself. Yeah, even though I'm a penguin, I'm competititive.

I suspect we penguins go better the longer the distance we run.

• skylahaley Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    102. Aug 24, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to Donna914)

I'm so glad to see this thread! I always feel somewhat embarrassed by how slow I run but reading your stories helps me feel proud!

Do any of you worry that you'll be the slowest at a race? I'm a bit neurotic; I constantly worry about coming in last whenever I sign up for a race! I always look at the last year's results and figure out where in the mix I'd fall. I've never been dead-last in a race before but I always come in the bottom quarter. My avg pace is about an 11 mm.

I now I shouldn't be so hard to myself. I should try to strut my penguin stuff instead!

Thanks for all the inspiring posts!!

• MellyStu Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    103. Aug 24, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to Donna914)

This thread is for me, I'm sure.

I actually don't know what my average pace is yet. I am doing the C25K program, and I'm just now on W6D3. Now that I'm not doing any intervals, I'm going to use my Garmin to set laps so I can just see my times for running and not any of the walking that I do.

However, I failed the first time I tried this program early in the year in week 3. I changed during my second attempt by getting a heart rate monitor, and discovered that the horrible "I'm going to die" feeling happened when my heart rate was above the target range for my age. I slowed it down to keep my heart rate lower, and was amazed at the difference. It is still difficult, but I haven't failed or repeated a day. And my speed and ability to keep my heart rate higher without dying has improved during my runs. I just didn't realize how slow I had to go.

I can power walk faster and for longer than I can run, so I'm sure I'll be right at home in this thread. I'll have an actual number within a week to work against.

And penguins are cute.

Melissa
    C25K Start: 7/6/2010
    C25K Graduation: 9/14/2010
    My first 5K: Bert Nash Dash & Bash - 10/9/2010
    My second 5K: Sprint Thanksgiving Day 5K Run & Family Stroll
    My 5K goal: To just finish

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    104. Aug 24, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to skylahaley)

skylahaley wrote:

I'm so glad to see this thread! I always feel somewhat embarrassed by how slow I run but reading your stories helps me feel proud!

Do any of you worry that you'll be the slowest at a race? I'm a bit neurotic; I constantly worry about coming in last whenever I sign up for a race!

ABSOLUTELY!  And in fact, several of the articles and books I have read lately, say that our fear is a very COMMON one among new runners.  Period.  So I am not going to worry about it (as much) any more.  Now, what I AM doing is looking at the ages of people and their times.  I'd like to be in the middle of the pack of folks in my age group and if the twenty-somethings lap us multiple times, I am gonna be oh kay with it.

And it's true, Penguins ARE cute.  Actually Emperor Penguins could be considered pretty darn elegant, too http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/penguin.php# !

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...