Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3506 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 11:48 AM by Moriates
DaytonFlyers Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2010 11:12 AM

Cycling Speed

Three weeks ago I did my first olympic triathlon and I came in third last in that event. I was very much disappointed and this motivated me to do another one and improve my speed. I have been trying but my cycling is one thing that I can not somehow improve on. I am always the slowest and can not cycle more than 15.2 mph on an average. I have been training but I still somehow can't improve my speed. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to improve my cycling speed. Any advice is appreciated.

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    1. Aug 7, 2010 1:01 PM (in response to DaytonFlyers)
    Re: Cycling Speed

First things first.  Congrats on the Olympic Finish! You did more than most people do period.

Cycling and endurance sports training is a cumulative action.  You have to put the time and effort in over months and years to make the gains.  Since you are new to the sport, you will make gains faster then the seasoned vets.  If a pro makes a gain of 0.5 mph it is great.  You have to keep in mind that you have to build a base, then build, then tapers, than peak.  That is the basic cycles of training.  Being new at the sport, to me, it seems like you need to build a bigger solid base before you start working on threshold and speed work.  If you rush the higher intensity work before having a solid base, you will end up injured and/or overtrained.

It really is had to judge your performance without knowing you, your training ideas and what had been conducted and goals.  However, I would say that you are better off worrying about your base fitness.  Speed comes next.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• Iron Dawg Pro 111 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    2. Aug 8, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to DaytonFlyers)

Your question is somewhat hard to answer not knowing how long you've been cycling.  Cycling is a muscle memory sport and requires a combination of at least the following items: time, effort, energy, weight and technology.  I've come to believe that it takes a good two years or more of somewhat serious riding to really get where you are capable of serious speed on a bike.  Add in if you can lose any additional weight and if your equipment is conducive to speed and it is quite a mixture.  However, if you are shooting for improvement in a 26 mile race a few things to do are: practice rides of at least 30 miles and better yet 40 to 50.  Add in interval training and some tempo or fast group rides that really push you to keep up and you'll most likely starting seeing some improvement.  Remember that people get "stuck" at certain points just like runners used to get stuck trying to break the 4 minute mile.  When I first started I got stuck at around the 15MPH mark and then again at around the 17/18 MPH and again at the 19/20mph.  I'm currently trying to break the 22MPH hour average in a race.  Ride with some cyclist that are better riders than you and watch what they do/don't do and you can learn a lot.  Keep at it.

Iron Dawg

Favorite quote:

"If you're not gettting better you're getting worse."

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    3. Jan 14, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to DaytonFlyers)

I agree with the other responses and want to add my own comment which may help (or may not).

I start doing tri's last year for something different after doing 7 years of road bike races.  The bike leg is my strongest by far which helps a lot to make up for my swim time but that's only mildly relevant.  During my years on the road bike I continually improved and became accustomed to pushing myself to achieve better results.  All sorts of things helped and for me variety was essential to keeping it fresh.  Together with friends we'd vary between hill climbs, distance rides, sprints, time trials, track riding at the local velodrome, mountain biking and even bmx.  The main point is that it took time and for me it more about the journey and not just the destination of completing a challenging race.  Obviously it feels great to storm through a course, everyone wants to feel they dominated the race rather than got whipped.

My advice in a nut shell is to enjoy racing regardless of the outcome.  I've never won a race and am in no danger of a podium finish unless there are only 2 other entries.  I get my sense of satisfaction from overcoming the obstacles in my way.  The first road race I did took 5:45 for 62 miles.  I finished it 5 years later in 2:56 and was estatic even though I was still half an hour behind the winners.  Select your goals for near term improvement and they'll lead you toward your dreams.

Best of luck with your future races.

Andy

• superunner Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 5, 2008
    4. Feb 5, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to DaytonFlyers)
    Cycling Speed

There are two main ways to get faster on the bike...ride longer to improve your endurance and ride faster to improve your upper threshold of speed.  There are many factors that could be holding your performance back, but try to focus on consistency of training and riding as much as possible.  You will also need to throw in some hard intervals once a week that are close to your maximum.  Even if it is for only a couple seconds, go as hard as you can and then take a couple minutes slower, then repeat 3 to 5 times.  Over time, you will be able to extend the length of time at your maximum speed and this will translate to a faster race speed.  Hang in there and keep working, it usually takes several years of consistent training to see drastic improvement. 

TRIbook | Triathlon Training Resources

• Scotty670 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Feb 5, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to superunner)
    Cycling Speed

Thanks for the tips. I rode 12 miles today.  It felt great

Scotty

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    6. Feb 14, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to DaytonFlyers)
    Cycling Speed

Checkout gcmendurance.com  I have posted two training programs.  One for climbing and one for time trialing that will build strenght and speed.  They are less then $10.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points