Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3180 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2010 10:55 AM by MsLilyT RSS
Shannon86189 Amateur 9 posts since
Aug 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2010 9:50 PM

Leg, Shin Pain

I am a new runner, I have shin pain bad, does anyone have any suggestions to help relieve that so I can finish my running? Thanks

• SidheDragon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 24, 2010
    1. Aug 9, 2010 6:44 AM (in response to Shannon86189)
    Re: Leg, Shin Pain

When I first got into the C25K plan I checked the Cool Running website and read all the information there. 

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/index.shtml

There is the page with information (all kinds) about Aches & Pains (all kinds).  What you're experiencing I believe is commonly called shin splints.  I used to get them when I was younger, but haven't had that problem so far.  I stretch out after running a lot.  The right shoes and the right stretching, I believe, should help alleviate some of your pain.  Check out that page, though.  There's lots of good info on there.

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    2. Aug 9, 2010 7:58 AM (in response to Shannon86189)

Shin pain is pretty common with new runners...and even veteran runners, more than likely it's shin splints.  You can't really "cure" them but you can do your best to ease the pain and they will eventually go away.  But be careful, shin pain can sometimes be stress fractures and not just shin splints.

If the pain is sharp and/or it is very pin point and not just a general throbbing/aching in your shins, you may want to go to the doctor and let them have a look.  If the pain is an aching, throbbing feeling that runs a good portion of your shin and it usually is both then it is more than likely shin splints.  Also, shin splint pain tends to die down, sometimes even goes away when you're not actually running on them.

The R.I.C.E. technique helps me a lot whenever I get them (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).  Also, some sort of anti-inflammatory pain meds help too (ibuprofen, naproxin sodium, etc.). 

I've been running for about 18 years now, sprinting through high school and college and distance running now and I have had shin splints just about since I started, so I've tried everything to help them, and in all that time and pain I've learned that R.I.C.E., meds and just plain running through them is the only way to conquer them. 

Good luck and hang in there!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• OSUFANS Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    4. Aug 10, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to Shannon86189)

I got them one year in high school.  The running shoes I bought came with padded arch support inserts, so naturally I put them in.  Turns out, I probably didn't need them.  After I started getting bad shin splints, I took them out, and the shin pain went away.  Could have been coincidental, but like mentioned before, shoes really has a lot to do with shin pain.

I just started running again (literally, just last week) and so far I haven't had any pain.  I'm inclined to think it may be your shoes.

Good luck!

• elev8torguy Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    5. Aug 10, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to Shannon86189)

Found this thread that had some great tips for this issue

http://bit.ly/aSt2wS

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    6. Aug 11, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to Shannon86189)

Here's the link to a post I wrote that may help you:

Top 10 Ways to Prevent Shin Splints

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• TheSillyErudite Amateur 36 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    8. Aug 12, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to Shannon86189)

I am a new runner as well.  I started running in May of this year and I started C25K three weeks ago.  I had shin splints when I first started running and up through about two weeks ago (I wasn't running regularly until I started C25K).  Usually my shins would hurt for a day or two after a run.  However, I found that they didn't last as long or hurt as badly as my legs logged more miles.  Now I'm on W3D2 and other than some minor soreness in my shins during the first minute or so of a run, my shins are fine.  So long story short, this shouldn't last always--or at least it won't be as painful as it is now.

I would also suggest slowing down a bit.  I've read (and I'm sure some of the links others have shared have said the same) that shin splints in beginning runners are usually a sign of overexertion, so you might want to consider slowing down.  Perhaps you should slow your pace and/or decrease the duration of your runs.  Doing this should help ease the pounding you're putting on your body.  Once your body gets more acclimated to running you can speed up and/or increase your distance.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

-L

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    9. Aug 15, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Shannon86189)

I found this video very helpful with my running form and shin splint issue!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis

Also after reading about running barefoot, I did W3D3 again today BAREFOOT on my treadmill at home and what a difference..NO SHIN pain At ALL and before it was agony to get through the run!! It forced me to land correctly on my feet and not on my heel. Other than a little irritation on the balls of my feet from being barefoot on the rubber, my run was easier, faster and NO PAIN!! I'm going to try it one more time tomorrow (with running socks on this time) to get the feel of the feet placement again then start W4 Wednesday with my shoes on and running outside...see if I can't keep myself from landing heel first... I'm so excited now ha! 

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...