Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

438109 Views 3,017 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 10:13 AM by John425 Go to original post 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 ... 202 Previous Next
  • Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

rbird wrote:

Any suggestions for a name for the winter edition of virtual racing?

January - March, including our invasion of Charleston.

Snowplow Stampede

(I know it doesn't really work for Florida, but what the heck.)

Frostbite Follies / Frolics

--or--

Frozen Bits Follies / Frolics

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Mtaurus575 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010

Beer and Cupcakes wrote:

rbird wrote:

Any suggestions for a name for the winter edition of virtual racing?

January - March, including our invasion of Charleston.

Well the marathon is just you and I pal,  so  maybe,  26.2 Dont Poo in your Shoe Round Two

The 1Q11 challenge,  hmmm, ...   show the pic and call it,    Pantsless Winter Madness.   Of course we'll wear pants we're not all ice breakin madmen like John,  but we can lie shamelessly and say we didnt when we enter our times.

icebreaker.jpg

This picture makes me yearn for the picture of the college kid in his full-coverage tighty-whities...I just wish there was a frozen vomit emoticon. Hey that gives me an idea for a name of a certain virtual challenge...

@taylor: I will fully endorse any challenge name with "damnation" in the title. It's truly motivating. The other titles seem to require parts that I do not possess and

Melanie

-------------------------------------------------------------

PRs

5K PR: 28:50 (1998)

10K PR 61:35 (2011) (Chattahoochee Challenge 10K)

10 Mile (1:50) (2011) (Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run)

Half PR 2:23 (2011) (Riverfront Charleston)

Upcoming Races:

Big Peach Sizzler 10K (Sept)

Kaiser Permanente 5K (Sept)

13.1 Atlanta (Oct)

Rock n Roll Savannah Half (Nov)

Atlanta Half (T-giving Day)-Best excuse to eat more stuffing ever!

Oct 10, 2010

can't lose to frostbite...

Melanie

PRs

Upcoming Races:

13.1 Atlanta (Oct)

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010

Well, Jim was complaining about freezing appendages.  Let's call it the "Frozen Pickle Dance".

Oct 10, 2010

Beer and Cupcakes wrote:

Depending on how well endowed  you are John it appears your appendage may be about freezing in that pic too.

How about  The Purple Pickle and Frosted Fanny Damnation Dash ??

Lengthy but attractive, the name not the...yeah...

But will it fit on the almighty spreadsheet?

Melanie

PRs

Upcoming Races:

13.1 Atlanta (Oct)

• taylor007 Pro 88 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010

Mtaurus575 wrote:

Beer and Cupcakes wrote:

Depending on how well endowed  you are John it appears your appendage may be about freezing in that pic too.

How about  The Purple Pickle and Frosted Fanny Damnation Dash ??

Lengthy but attractive, the name not the...yeah...

But will it fit on the almighty spreadsheet?

its perfect....... the PPFFDD for short or the PPFF DAMNATION DASH It makes perfect sense to me.

5k- 18.17(12/11) - 5m- 32.12(12/11) - 10k- 39.58(12/11) - 13.1- 1:27:42(12/11)

9/11/11 - I did a green run 5k - 20.00

10/22/11 - YMCA 5k - 19.38

11/24/11 - Mesa Turkey trot 10k - 55.36 (PR) (backwards)

12/4/11 - Fiesta Bowl HM - 1.27.42 (PR)

12/10/11 - Sally's Run 5k - 18.17 (PR)

1/7/12 - Run, walk, roll 5k - 18.53

1/15/12 - PF Changs HM - 2.10.27(PR) (backwards)

2/12/12 - Runners Den 5 & 10 - 18.24

2/12/12 - Parkinsons 5k - 19.24

3/3/12 - Ryan House 5k - 18.21

3/10/12 - Fight Childrens Cancer 5k - 18.21

upcoming

3/17/12 - Kiss me Im Irish 8k

4/1/11 - Carlsbad 5000

May 20, 2010

Should not have run that race with a lingering cough last Saturday in the cold rain and near freezing temperature.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I think I’m sticking with my Asics for Charleston.  I ran 16 miles in my Kinvaras last weekend which was my longest run in them to date.  The run went well, but my calves bitched about it for 2 days.  When I laced up my Asics on the next run my feet let out an audible sigh of relief.  The Kinvaras are helping to improve my form and they are performing well at shorter distances, but I think I still need more miles in them before I use them in a marathon.  I’ll definitely wear them for my half marathon this weekend though.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

May 20, 2010

Now I'm starting to think about it.  I reserve my Kinvaras for racing.  So far, it's only been 5K's ... 3.1 miles.  And I have loved them.  No aches or pains whatsoever.  I have been rotating a pair of Asics GT-2150's and a pair of New Balance 1064's for training runs.  I've begun to make sure I do my long runs in the 1064's though because I've noticed the Asics leave me with a tender left knee.  My left ankle has put me on crutches 4 times in my life and was weak.  I think running has strengthened it to the point that I no longer need the stability.  The New Balances are neutral.  The Kinvaras are minimal and neutral, and the Kinvaras weigh half of what the New Balances weigh.  I need to decide if the heal/toe drop difference will be an issue over 13.1 miles.  If not, it will be Kinvaras.  If I decide the Kinvaras might give me a problem after 10 miles or so, then I may be running in the heavy, clunky, old New Balance 1064's.  Both will be packed and ready.

I have been running 6 miles on average 54 to 56 minutes in training runs.  If I pack a peanut butter and banana sandwich and a small bottle of strong tea for caffeine, I should be able to stop around mile 6.5, sit down and enjoy the snack, then get up and finish the race in around 2 hours, don't you think?

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010

You men are putting WAY more thought into your shoe choices than a woman. I mean, seriously.  I am wearing my Kinvaras.  I have worn them in ALL of my long training runs.  The only problem I've had is sore feet after the run... maybe I'll find a little pedicure shop when I'm done and get my feet pampered

I do plan on packing my compression socks, just in case my shins act up.  My debate now is my fuel belt.  I got it for Christmas, I ran in it the day after with two of the four bottles in it.  It sits a little higher than I'd like, I'm not an "items around my waist" kinda gal, which is about where this sits, maybe a little lower.  If I try to push it down to my hips, it just rides up.  I DO NOT want to be annoyed, but without it I have nowhere to put clif blocks and I am at the mercy of water stops.  I'm going to wear it for my long (10-12 hopefully) on Sunday and see how I fare.  The weather is supposed to be 50's so this will be my 100% practice, clothes, iPod placement, shoes, etc for Charleston.

You guys realize we all get to meet each other in a little over two weeks right?! Bwahahahahahahaha

P.S. John, I think your ego is getting ahead of your feet....pack me a sandwich too, k?

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

May 20, 2010

Now Squeaks, this is the DoppelLaufers Good Natured Taunting and Race Reports Thread.

Nov 6, 2007

rbird wrote:

I think I’m sticking with my Asics for Charleston.  I ran 16 miles in my Kinvaras last weekend which was my longest run in them to date.  The run went well, but my calves bitched about it for 2 days.  When I laced up my Asics on the next run my feet let out an audible sigh of relief.  The Kinvaras are helping to improve my form and they are performing well at shorter distances, but I think I still need more miles in them before I use them in a marathon.  I’ll definitely wear them for my half marathon this weekend though.

Which ASICS?

I find your post thought-provoking.  I ran fast Tuesday in my new Puma FAAS shoes, and had absolutely no pain or soreness the next day.  I ran yesterday morning in my ASICS "workhorse" shoes and was sore all day.  I've run the half distance in the Kinvaras, and had no extra pain or soreness.  I find that my legs feel better running in the lighter, lower heel-to-toe drop footwear now.  I suspect that you still haven't adapted to the extra demands on your calves from the lower drop in the Kinvaras.

Do you do any trail running?  I ask because I have a theory regarding my observations of some speedy road runners who do miserably on trail runs.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007

John -- see my response to Bird's post.

I, too, am guilty of "saving" my Kinvaras for races.  The problem with that -- and with wearing "clunky" shoes on training runs -- is that we're not training our legs (and brains) to run fast in the minimalist shoes.  So we're putting two stresses on our legs in the races -- the stress of racing itself and the stress of running in unfamiliar shoes.

I'm going on a long run tomorrow and I'm going to wear either the Kinvaras or the new Puma FAAS.  My first run in the Pumas was 7 miles and I had no pain or soreness whatsoever after the run.

Happy New Year's!

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Asics Gel 1150’s

I wore these for the Space Coast Marathon without any problems at all.  I was running again within 3 days of that race.  I’ve got about 700 miles split between 2 pairs of these shoes and never had any problems.

I still love the Kinvaras.  They performed well for me in my last half in October and I plan to wear them at my half marathon Sunday.  I think they will perform well in a full marathon but I just don’t think my calves are ready for that yet.  I think my stride changes when I wear them so that my calves get a harder workout.  I just need a few more long runs in them and I’m out of time.  I want a fast recovery after Charleston because I’m thinking about doing another marathon in February.

I’ve got over 100 miles in my Kinvaras including hills, intervals, and races and didn’t have any issues until that 16 mile long run.  It was just muscle soreness, not a bad kind of pain.  I just don’t think my calves are ready for that last 10.2 miles in them yet.

And John . . . good luck with that race strategy.  Just don’t be surprised when Squeaky passes you while you are barfing in the bushes.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...