Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

425979 Views 3,017 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 10:13 AM by John425 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 Previous Next
  • rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good luck to our 3 racers this weekend!  Fruitfly is running a New Year's Eve 5k.  FaithUpHigh is running one on New Year's day - hopefully not with a hangover.  And I'm running a half marathon Sunday.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010

Okay, I've decided.  How could I be so heartless as to withhold the beauty of my highlighter yellow/green Kinvaras from such a magnificent event as the Charleston , SC Riverfront Race Festival?

Kinvara small.jpg

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

John425 wrote:

Okay, I've decided.  How could I be so heartless as to withhold the beauty of my highlighter yellow/green Kinvaras from such a magnificent event as the Charleston , SC Riverfront Race Festival?

Kinvara small.jpg

Wear those while standing next to Jim and his Blaze Orange Kinvaras and people will think they are hallucinating.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

May 20, 2010

I ran 9 miles, yesterday.  It was my first run in nearly two weeks after being sick.  I wouldn't recommend doing that.  Although my last long run was 11 miles and only left me with tired legs, yesterday I suffered a tender left knee and aching calves.  This morning my knee is in good shape but my calves are still tight.  But, Charleston is only two weeks away and I had suffered a setback which I felt desperate to recover.  I will run one more long run next Saturday.  I will plan on 14 and should have no problem making it.  That will leave me a week for a couple easy short runs and then a rest before running my first half marathon.  After that, I'm registered for the Gasparilla half in Tampa on Feb. 27.

Dec 14, 2007

Seven of us Doppels invaded Charleston this weekend for the Riverfront Race Festival.  Jim and I ran the full marathon, and everyone else ran the half.

I PR’d with a time of 4:25:58.  I will let everyone else post, brag and taunt about their own times.

The race was followed by revelry and debauchery at the Griffon Pub that didn’t end until the band stopped playing, the beer stopped pouring, the house lights came on and the barkeep threatened us with a broom.

It was awesome meeting everyone and after months of online taunting to turn our virtual friendship real.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Surfing_Vol wrote:

John425 wrote:

Kinvara small.jpg

Wear those while standing next to Jim and his Blaze Orange Kinvaras and people will think they are hallucinating.

I wore my highligher-yellow Kinvaras for the half, and when I ran a little bit of the marathon with Jim (and his nuclear-powered orange Kinvaras), one of the bands by the side of the road started singing about how we had the brightest shoes they'd ever seen.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

Dec 14, 2007

And don't forget your matching gloves.  That was quite the ensemble.

Everyone had their Kinvaras on (except me)  We should post those photos with a warning about eye protection due to the glare.

• taylor007 Pro 88 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010

rbird wrote:

Everyone had their Kinvaras on (except me)  We should post those photos with a warning about eye protection due to the glare.

I cant wait to get me a pair of shade inducing shoes!!!! lol

Ok I have results and a question. To start off with my daughter had a great race. Her farthest run before this race was 5 miles and then she got sick and hadnt run for 3 weeks before this race. Needless to say she said she would never do a marathon again without training for it!! (i have hi hopes now that she will do one again.) When we started the race i jogged with her and was hoping for a 10min/mile. that lasted all of one mile, but we hovered around 11 min for the first 4 and then dipped into the 13 mark. I also told her after the first couple of miles that i would probably leave her around mile 10 and run the rest of the way. It was interesting to note that around mile 4 my body really wanted to go and i mean go. so to placate myself when my daughter walked i ran backwards......needless to say i got stares, strange looks, and remarks. most it good natured fun. :-D Around mile 6 we meet up with some people that we talked and jogged and walked with for a couple of miles. I told bre then that at the 8 mile marker i was going to go.... and i did. I ran the last 5. around mile 12 i got a huge cramp in my right side that took forever to get rid of. I am not sure why I got it (i understand the mecahnics of why a cramp happens, just i know i did something wrong to get this one!!!). it either had to do with the adjustment in sudden speed or it had to do with my intake of fluids. my question to you all is...... when and how much do you hydrate during a marathon?  my daughter and i avg 12.15 a mile for the first 8 and then i avg 7.59 for the last 5.

I am really glad i did it. my finally time was 2.15.33 and my daughters finally time was 2.48.02. I look forward to doing a few more this year, this was a great start!! congrats to all those that pr'd at their races this weekend.

on a side note i came in 715 in my division and 8148 place overall out of 19298. if i would if ran with the group, that had my actual run time i would have been in the top 2000 and that is only a 30 min difference than the time i actually came in. How crazy is that!!!!

5k- 18.17(12/11) - 5m- 32.12(12/11) - 10k- 39.58(12/11) - 13.1- 1:27:42(12/11)

9/11/11 - I did a green run 5k - 20.00

10/22/11 - YMCA 5k - 19.38

11/24/11 - Mesa Turkey trot 10k - 55.36 (PR) (backwards)

12/4/11 - Fiesta Bowl HM - 1.27.42 (PR)

12/10/11 - Sally's Run 5k - 18.17 (PR)

1/7/12 - Run, walk, roll 5k - 18.53

1/15/12 - PF Changs HM - 2.10.27(PR) (backwards)

2/12/12 - Runners Den 5 & 10 - 18.24

2/12/12 - Parkinsons 5k - 19.24

3/3/12 - Ryan House 5k - 18.21

3/10/12 - Fight Childrens Cancer 5k - 18.21

upcoming

3/17/12 - Kiss me Im Irish 8k

4/1/11 - Carlsbad 5000

Dec 14, 2007

That's awesome you were able to race with your daughter it must have been a lot of fun.

In Charleston I took water and/or gatorade at every stop and they were spaced about every two miles.  Later in the race I would often take two cups.  That felt about right to me.  I also ate 4 packets of the powerbar gels at about miles 8,14, 18 and 22.  It seemed like those would give me a lift about two miles after eating them.

With your speed though I think your needs will be different.  It will probably take some trial and error to work it out.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

Taylor,

If you understand the mechanics of cramping, please share them.  My research in medical and physiological studies reveals that doctors don't really have a clue about cramping. My takeaway -- trial and error.

SV

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

May 20, 2010

I didn't do so well in the Charleston Half Marathon.  But, I had just become solid after a round of food poisoning two days before the race.  Still, I finished and that is what counts.  I'm running the Gasparilla Half Marathon in a little more than a month and I expect my performance to blow away what I did in Charleston.  Charleston took a toll on my legs, too.  I ran in my Kinvara's and I suspect that was not a wise decsion for me.  I've run 11 miles with absolutely no problems except for normally tired legs but I run my training runs in either Asics 2150's or New Balance 1064's.  I've come to prefer the New Balance for long runs so that's what I plan to wear in my next Half.

Dec 14, 2007

John425 wrote:

I didn't do so well in the Charleston Half Marathon.  But, I had just become solid after a round of food poisoning two days before the race.  Still, I finished and that is what counts.  I'm running the Gasparilla Half Marathon in a little more than a month and I expect my performance to blow away what I did in Charleston.  Charleston took a toll on my legs, too.  I ran in my Kinvara's and I suspect that was not a wise decsion for me.  I've run 11 miles with absolutely no problems except for normally tired legs but I run my training runs in either Asics 2150's or New Balance 1064's.  I've come to prefer the New Balance for long runs so that's what I plan to wear in my next Half.

I think you did great, John, particularly losing 20 minutes to a port-a-john line early on!

The Kinvaras have much less cushion than your other trainers, which is great for shorter races, but your feet need time to adapt before doing longer races in them. It's probably a good call to go with your Asics or NBs for Gasparilla.

If you mix the Kinvaras into your training a little more at longer distances, you'll find that your feet will handle them better. Your other shoes are support shoes (or neutral leaning towards support), while the Kinvaras are straight-up neutral shoes. If you want to go full-time in the Kinvaras, you'll probably want to make a gradual transition into neutral trainers and then start moving into shoes with smaller heel-toe drops.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Dec 14, 2007

rbird wrote:

Right - forgot about those, since I put them away about half-way through the third mile. Here y'go:

manzella-avatar.jpg

I paced Squeaky to her first half-marathon finish, turning in a 2:11:17 myself. A little over an hour later, I joined Jim (Beer and Cupcakes) for about five of the last six miles in the marathon. Good times!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

May 20, 2010

dwm082 wrote:

I think you did great, John, particularly losing 20 minutes to a port-a-john line early on!

The Kinvaras have much less cushion than your other trainers, which is great for shorter races, but your feet need time to adapt before doing longer races in them. It's probably a good call to go with your Asics or NBs for Gasparilla.

If you mix the Kinvaras into your training a little more at longer distances, you'll find that your feet will handle them better. Your other shoes are support shoes (or neutral leaning towards support), while the Kinvaras are straight-up neutral shoes. If you want to go full-time in the Kinvaras, you'll probably want to make a gradual transition into neutral trainers and then start moving into shoes with smaller heel-toe drops.

Don

Thanks, Don.

For anyone browsing, Charleston was a great experience.  I think the entire town was runner friendly, too.  The race organizers have been made aware from a number of people that one port-a-john at each aid station is not enough and they are already looking to correct that next year.

Happy running!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...