Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4291 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 3:52 AM by TreadmillRunner1
Juliecherry Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2010 5:40 PM

What is the best treadmill on a reasonable budget?

New to running and would like to purchase a treadmill for the home to train for 5K and possibly more.  What is a good treadmill for this use on a budget?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

It would be helpful if you indicated what your budget is. There are generally helpful reviews on the treadmilldoctor web site, including a section on best buys.

Based on those reviews and other reviews on the web, I ended up with a Sole F83 for about $2,000 (after freight and installation, even though I'd ordered the F80 -- same thing, but the F83 has a longer deck). I've been very happy with it. You're unlikely to get anything that will withstand heavy running use for less than $1,000, but that's a general rule rather than a truism.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    2. Aug 13, 2010 12:09 PM (in response to dwm082)
    Re: What is the best treadmill on a reasonable budget?

If you live in a decent sized city check Craigslist, I  bought a $1500+  2 year old Lifefitness model for 350 !!!!  I love it.  Well, as much as you can love a treadmill.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

As a new runner myself (returning to running after quite a long time away), and one who just did the Couch to 5K program on a home treadmill, I would suggest that depending on HOW new to running you are, you may want to think it over carefully before purchase.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a TM at home to run on, and in the humidity and heat in the DC metro area recently, I would almost say, there's no way I'm going to run regularly outdoors.

BUT.  I want to run some events too.  I knew that to do that, I would need to run outdoors.  So since a local club had some evening runs in July-August, I pushed myself to get out and do a couple of the last of the C25K program runs, with the group.  I found that I like the difference between indoor TM running and running on a trail and with others.  I am planning on getting out with the group just as much as I possibly can, particularly for training purposes for a 5K.

You may want to see whether you need a TM to train on, once you've done some running outdoors, especially if you're currently using  a treadmill for all of your running.  I did fitness walking for YEARS on my (now very old) ProForm model, which was not expensive (I think around $700?) when I bought it.  I still run on it, now, but I don't run long runs on it.  And the incline has quit working AND I don't know how to get any repair or diagnosis done on it because it is a home machine.  But it serves, just fine, for me, for now.  A more experienced, faster runner would reject it.

So I am not trying to discourage you from getting a TM right away, but I thought you might want to bear this experience in mind.  You may not wind up using the TM as much as you are thinking, and that may affect how you make your selection.

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

The convenience just can't be beat, definitely!  It's virtually impossible to hold your head up if you skip a run when the "trail" is right down the hall!  And for bad weather it is the best.  I'm glad to be able to offer some input!!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• StuAblett Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

I've just started the C25K plan and I'm using a treadmill that we bought used, a while back and honestly did not even (at the time) need or want, but the deal was so good, I could not pass it up.

It is a Smooth 7.5HR, an older model, but if you do run across one used, I would say it is a very solid good treadmill. Looking on line it gets top marks in the various reviews I could find. I sold new for about $2000 so used in decent condition I would expect to find it under $500, or even lower.

I'm a big guy, I'm at 270 lbs, six foot tall, and I have lots of room on it, and it does not move around at all, it is also very quiet.

Cheers!

• Treadmiller Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011

There's a good article on this at How to Buy a Treadmill

You could also see http://www.treadmill-world.com

• FITNESSDUDE Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

First, I would recommend you spent around $1,000.  Below that price you are getting into budget models that are best suited for walking.  A running treadmill requires a motor that is powerful enough to push the runner at higher speeds without straining.  You also want to have a deck that is adequate to withstand the impact that comes with running, and to provide adequate shock absorption to minimize the impact.  Several suggestions are the Smooth 5.65, the NordicTrack 900 C and the LiveStrong LS 10.0T.  Each treadmill has installed programs for training purposes.  They also have decent warranties for the price.  In fact, the Smooth 5.65 comes with a 2-year labor, 4-year parts and lifetime motor coverage.

I've been to all three of the manufacturers headquarters and tested each machine, in addition to talking about their design and performance with company personnels.  You can check out my  reviews at my treadmill review site.

Fred

• TreadmillRunner1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011

2011 treadmill offers are pretty good. You should be able to buy a good new treadmill with $1000-$1500 budget (Sole is a good brand that has interesting 2011 models). You also have the old models, that have been a hit since launch and are still popular. The disadvantage is that old models have basic features. But they work great. My favorite is Schwinn 860  (here is a link to the Schwinn 860 treadmill review). Check also this link for treadmills between $1000 - $1500. In the end is important to use the treadmill after you buy it. Happy running!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points