Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

246597 Views 1,829 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2008 10:05 AM by michaelmack33 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 122 Previous Next
  • NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Nov 24, 2007 6:45 PM (in response to Migo)
    Re: The iPod conflict brews in racing

<<<<Im going to guess the same people that don't want you to wear an iPod running also support the "nanny state" and the government running the rest of our lives.

Stay away from Las Vegas, because you don't stand much of a chance there. You don't seem to think or guess too well.

Most races are private enterprises and not for profit except for the charities they support. Businesses owners tend not to be lefty leaning goverment types. Myself, I'm well to the right of center and don't want half the goverment I have.

<<< No one can be personally responsible

Rather ironic, you want people to be responsible but when it hits the fan it's always someone else's fault. People should really get their act together. Either you want responsibility or you don't. Which is it?

<<<< we're all adults

Really now. You show me a crowd of adults of any size and I'll show you any number of them who don't look or act like adults. This is the real world we are talking about.

<<<<<<<<<....should mind their business.

So please tell us.

What is the "business" of the owner or manager of a private event to which you have been allowed to attend.

What is the business of those ultimately responsible for what goes on at a race, and the business of those who are responsible for the safety of you and those who you might harm, who is also responsible to the town, the police, the insurance company and the USATF in some cases and to their own families by not putting their own assets in jeopardy by allow themselves to be negligent for allowing those with a defective survival gene to put themselves in harms way at a race.. 

The RDs are minding "their business".  

• Migo Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    46. Nov 24, 2007 7:54 PM (in response to NHSenior)

If an RD is making it a point to say "NO devices" than you're right it is they're business and whatever action they take is certainly justified including forfeiture of race fees .... I didn't say anything about race policies. My point was that if you're not an RD and it isn't you're race than who are you to tell someone else the rules of participation? Judging by the respondents in this thread however I would GUESS that the majority NOT ALL but the majority are not RD's and just a bunch of well meaning folks who choose to race and train a certain way and expect others to do the same. Like I said I rarely if ever use them because I just like the sounds of being outside or would at least like a head start on that rotweiler thats gaining ground. I like hearing my own breath. But that's me if somebody blows passed me to the tune of AC/DC's "shook me all night long" I'll wave say "Good Morning!" and not be flagging down the SAG to turn in the filthy heathen. Who knows maybe the dog gets him and I jump a spot in the overall. 

"Rather ironic, you want people to be responsible but when it hits the fan it's always someone else's fault. People should really get their act together. Either you want responsibility or you don't. Which is it?"

I don't even know what that means or how it applies to what I said but if you're asking if I think people should be responsible for their own actions. Yes I do think people should be held responsible for their own actions. Would I want to be an RD in this liturgous society? Noooo way.

I guess in the "real world" you feel the need to be my nanny. Unless you're my mother, and I doubt it, thanks but no thanks!

I don't even like AC/DC but I do like Jonathan Edwards 1971 Sunshine....

"He can't even run his own life,

I'll be damned if he'll run mine"

• Irishrunner55 Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 25, 2007
    47. Nov 25, 2007 8:56 AM (in response to Migo)

While we all may not be race directors, most of us understand the difference between a RULE and a "nanny state".  Race directors are overseeing USATF sanctioned events are there to ensure the USATF rules are adhered to; including the rule prohibiting iPods and other similar devices during competition. 

If runners who perform better during a competition with an iPod chose not to wear an iPod because of the rule prohibiting the device and they lose out to other runners who wear an iPod; I call that cheating.  It's not a nanny state; it is cheating.  No one should be glorified for choosing to run with an iPod during a competition.  Until this rule is overturned, runners should be made to turn in their iPods during competition.

Nov 20, 2007
    48. Nov 25, 2007 3:15 PM (in response to Irishrunner55)

Hillary is going to need a running mate soon....get in line. get some legislation passed and we'll all fall in line and do whatever you want.

• Irishrunner55 Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 25, 2007
    49. Nov 25, 2007 3:41 PM (in response to Migo)

The "legislation" has already passed, that boat has sailed.  What don't you understand about the rule?  Your probably one of those golfers who think it's okay to take a mulligan on each side and not count it on your scorecard or drop the ball where you hit it out of bounds.

How about marathon running, perhaps you think it is okay to start at the 5 mile mark rather than run the entire course? 

We are all bound by the same rules; I like most of the others in this forum disagree with this rule. 

BTW; Go Hillary!!! 

Nov 20, 2007
    50. Nov 25, 2007 5:30 PM (in response to Irishrunner55)

and I quote you said "Go Hillary" .....

enough said....enjoy your nanny state

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    51. Nov 26, 2007 6:28 AM (in response to Migo)

Migo, I think most of us would appreciate it if this did not become a political soapbox and instead remained a discussion somewhat related to running.

As to the original topic, I love my iPod and couldn't imagine elliptical training, spinning, tread mill, etc. today without it (and yet somehow I managed it for many years).  That said, I would never run outdoors with it; I prefer to maintain an undisrupted rythm and I just enjoy the natural surroundings.  I certainly don't mind if other folks want to wear their headphones while running (the only time I have a problem with this is at races where far too many people line up well ahead of their projected pace and it really is a pain to try and navigate around a pack full of slower runners that are completely lost in their own little music induced worlds).  If there is a valid reason for banning headphones during races (the reason I have been told is due to insurance coverage and I have no reason to disbelieve the officials who told me this) then one should follow that rule out of simple respect for the people who have put in their time and efforts to host the event.

Nov 20, 2007
    52. Nov 26, 2007 7:12 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Its not about politics its about a mindset that just coincidentally happens to fit a political mindset. And the post after my suggestion that it was a political mindset just coincidentally validated my thoughts on the subject at least in this small sample.....don't get mad because I don't agree with you. I would appreaciate it if you guys would quit throwing out arguments that make no sense like people lining up ahead of their projected paces. This has nothing to do with headphones. People do this no matter what. At our Thanksgiving trot I navigated through many people at the start and can not think of a single instance where I thought "Man if this guy we'rent wearing his headphones this would be a lot easier."

• Spiridon Amateur 21 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    53. Nov 26, 2007 12:41 PM (in response to wonderwoman32)

The only rebuttal I get for my statements is name calling. Not one of you can come up with a rational counter position to my thoughts on banning ipods. You want to strip away every thing that makes a road race, a road race and still call it a road race. Let's have aluminum bats in the MLB and Golf carts in the PGA tournaments. You just want to change things to meet your needs. How about keeping the sport some what the same so there is a tread of continuity from the beginning to the present and into the future?  Why not have virtual road races on treadmills and link every one together by ipods? Leave the road to real runners that are out there with nothing but the will to win.

• Spiridon Amateur 21 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    54. Nov 26, 2007 1:16 PM (in response to Irishrunner55)

Irishrunner 55, I bet you can't wait until next November. With Hillary in office, top runners will pay to run the races and will run the races. But the people with the loudest iPods will get all the reward money and prizes and sit around instead of running and complain it's not enough. Socialized road races, just like socialized medicine no one wins or gets well.

Nov 20, 2007
    55. Nov 26, 2007 5:32 PM (in response to Spiridon)

I'm all for purity of sport and I actually like that argument. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. Really. Where you lose me though is that most of us and the vast majority of people in these public road races are amateurs out to have a good time and challenge themselves. There aren't a whole lot of careers on the line other than the elites and the RD's. I used to be 240 and that aint a muscular 240 and only 5'9". I still see a lot of runners in that range or better. I doubt using an iPod will be the difference between a Top 5 and BOP finish but if a little music is motivation enough and the RD is looking the other way and don't seem to care well then good for them. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if some RD's were willing to look the other way on iPods simply for the sake of keeping their numbers up. I have nothing to back that up but it wouldn't surprise me. Nor would it bother me. If people want strict by the rules races, here's a thought, hit your local olympic trial then you won't have to compete with iPods. Just steroids. There's the purity in sport Ms. Jones.

• wonderwoman32 Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    56. Nov 26, 2007 11:36 PM (in response to Spiridon)

sigh I HAD chosen not to dignify your ridiculous ideas and views on 'pure' road racing for sake of sanity and this board. You don't really deserve a rebuttal but here ya go:

I am sure you run road races with a watch and high tech running shoes and possibly a heart monitor with Dri fit clothing no? If you want to stay PURE then take your shoes off along with all that other gear, drink only water take off that hat and you'll have your original style race untainted by 2007. Or stick to Olympic trials so the rest of us don't get in your way. You are no one to tell me I am not a real runner you don't even know me. And my iPod will not help an average runner like me (out to compete with myself at a 9 minute avg. pace) elbow an elite runner out of the way to the front of the pack, don't be ridiculous

Since you think you are a real runner I leave you with the words of John Bingham on the definition of a runner, take it or leave it

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes

are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me

is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes

with my running mechanics, not my running outfit.

I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits. I have

technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the

experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say

"Coolmax" and "Gore-Tex" in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I

embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the limits of my comfort and why

I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart

ratethings I once avoidedare necessary if I want to be a better

runner.

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will

whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to

that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I

know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new

highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I

will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits

so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not.

Nov 20, 2007
    57. Nov 27, 2007 3:02 AM (in response to wonderwoman32)

I don't think you understood what I was saying so to me your response is frustrating. One foot in front of the other in strides. Thats running. I don't recall accusing anyone of not being a "real runner".

PS you're WAY off on your opinion that Im out running around in a bunch of high tech gear. My favorite hat is a Dolphins cap. Man is that depressing.

• ozzie from oc Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 25, 2007
    58. Nov 27, 2007 8:02 AM (in response to Active Toby)

I have run more marathons, halfs, 5 & 10Ks than I can count and of all of the accidents I have seen or (nearly) been involved in, none have been because of earphones.  The top causes of accidents in my informal survey are: discarded clothing, food, water bottles, etc. at the start of a race and near water stations; runners or walkers in large groups that force others to do something unsafe to get around them; potholes and speed bumps (let's ban those!), and especially in 5 & 10Ks - baby strollers and dogs.  I usually don't run with earphones, but on a closed course I really don't get the problem.  Saw a documentary about people climbing Everest and half the climbers ( and some of the Sherpas!) were wearing iPods - now that seems dangerous!

Ozzie from OC

• JR007 Amateur 51 posts since
    Nov 18, 2007
    59. Nov 27, 2007 8:10 AM (in response to ozzie from oc)

Did the dogs have their race bibs displayed properly and time chips? To quote the movie Air Bud (where a dog plays on a kids football team) "There's no rule that a dog can't play football".

I wouldn't mind getting rid of those potholes and speedbumps too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 122 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...