Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1766 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2010 11:04 AM by Beer and Cupcakes RSS
Ladynw18 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2010 10:15 AM

Hip Bursitis

I have been diagnosed with bursitis in both hips but it is really painful in my right- to the point I cant really do stairs and use a cane on occasion. I stopped running 8 weeks ago and had a cortisone shot but I still deal with some amount of pain 24 hours a day.

I am not doing PT because it is to expensive so I got insrtuctions on stretches for busitis and have been doing this for a while.

My question is...will this EVER go away or will I always have to deal with it? I had been running 5 months when I quit and I LOVED it and miss it so much, but I am afraid to try again because of the 2 days of pain that follow each run. I wonder if it will permanently damage my hips if I just run through it....I cant stop exercising all together but it seems that everything I do causes a great amount of pain. Im no sissy---Ill push through if I need to, I just dont want to do permanent injury.

I wonder if my weight affects it- which I am sure it does which is why I stared running in the first place to get in shape. I am 5'6 165#- will the pain get better if I can continue to drop weight?

Any tips, advice, suggestions? Where do I go from here? Frustrated!

• lesoun815 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2010
    1. Aug 19, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to Ladynw18)
    Re: Hip Bursitis

I had the same problem last year.  I stopped running for about two months and rode the recumbant bike for my cardio.  I concentrated on weight training to build up my leg muscles as well.  I think because I had slacked on this before, is why I developed the bursitis in the first place.  So definitely get a good training program going to build up your hamstrings, glutes, and quads.  This will help protect your hip joints.  I also got a cortisone shot.  it did not provide immediate relief like I though it would, but over time it did help.  Then after a couple of months I eased back into running and three months after that I ran my first 10k totally pain free and have been every since.  Oh and STRETCH before and after running.  I cannot stress how important that is.  The best one for your hip is called a pyramid stretch.  You lay on your back and cross your ankle over your knee.  Clasp your hands under your knee and pull.  For added benefit, use just one hand to pull and the other to press on the other knee.  Hope this help.  Good luck!

• Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    2. Aug 19, 2010 9:55 AM (in response to Ladynw18)

Unfortunately, If Bursitis does not heal within a couple of months, the DR told me it could be chronic. since mine started in February 2010, and I still have it, well I think that is chronic.  I have it in my right hip and it is in conjunction with mile arthritis. I have started exercises to strengthen and started taking a MSM/Glucosamine pill twice a day and that has helped tremendously. after my long runs it is the most tender, but I have learned to deal with it for the most part, since he said it was not going away.

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    3. Aug 19, 2010 11:04 AM (in response to Maryalicia)

Is  'mile arthritis'  something that flares up at 1 mile splits in a  run? 

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points