Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1836 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 6:10 AM by Maryalicia
RooRunner2010 Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2010 3:02 PM

Missed long run

I  missed my first long run of my 1/2 Marathon training this weekend because the heat was just too much when I was able to get out.  So I am not sure what I should do from here. Do I just keep going as scheduled or push until I can get my long run in and then keep going in order?  I can easily get in my shorter runs before that long run again .

Please help...

Avoiding heatstroke in Seattle

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    1. Aug 16, 2010 3:15 PM (in response to RooRunner2010)
    Re: Missed long run

Funny - if you're that anal about your workouts, look out running world

But seriously, good call if you're not accustomed to the heat to not push it.  I dare say, you'll need figure out how to adapt any training program to your own needs.  If it was too hot today, it'll likely be too hot tomorrow.  So, cut the long run by 2/3, I don't know.  In the long run, what a pun, this one workout won't kill your outcome.  Also, a thought - I'm looking into pool running to complement my training.  One of the problems that claims to solve is obviously some heat related issues.

Personally, I try to get out in front of the heat from the beginning and get myself acclimated to it.   cool running has some tips on managing the heat.  This year it started in April, then May was less so, since  June its been nonstop.  But, I haven't missed a workout or a race due to the heat.  Sometimes I'd thought I'd pushed it just a little too far, but as of yet far I've not been in the ER.  So, I guess what I'm suggesting is I'd rather have it that way than be held hostage to the fickleness of the weather.

Good luck.

Ed.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    3. Aug 16, 2010 7:23 PM (in response to RooRunner2010)

After 12 years running, I've learned that missing one day is not a big deal. I know the long run is important (probably the most important), but if you only miss a day then continue with the training program like you never missed that day. Just don't worry about it.

Just be sure not to have a lot of days where you miss a run entirely or else it could negatively affect your fitness. If you're scheduled to run 10 and it's hot outside, try to run as many miles as you can before the heat gets to you. If that's only 4-5 miles that's better than nothing. You could also consider pool running or cycling as optional exercise if running is impossible.

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    5. Aug 17, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to RooRunner2010)

great way to bring it home Roo! Very clever. I too live in the NW, and this heat won't last for much longer-like you already did, just try to work it in a day or two later.

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points