Please read my blog post for tonight...

http://terri7291.blogspot.com/2010/08/marathon-cheater.html

thanks! Terri

Terri - 20 Year Liver Transplant Survivor

2007 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 17, 2010 4:06 AM (in response to Marathon Peach)
    Re: Marathon cheater

Months ago when this first happened I might have responded differently but now I step back.  While he might not should have kept the medal there was entirely too much surrounding this event for me to pass too much judgement.  He had TV and race directors and all kinds of things surrounding his 1st, did you hear that, first marathon.  After 20 plus marathons I can not state for certain that even if I was going to plan the same event and events surrounding this all while trying to lose the most weight, which I never am able to do during marathon training, I might be required to do some of the same things in order to keep appearances which he had been doing the past 6 or so months leading up to the race.

I did see him months later finishing and running in one of my warmest ever runs in Nashville at the Country Music Marathon.

I do understand your rant but at some point running is about me personally and not all those around me.

This place is like home!!!!

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    3. Aug 17, 2010 4:09 AM (in response to Marathon Peach)

Sorta like I said after I take a step back and try and see the big picture.  For the record I would never say it was alright to cheat and not do the full distance just that I refuse at this point to pass judgement on the unknown.

This place is like home!!!!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Aug 17, 2010 6:50 AM (in response to Marathon Peach)

The finisher's medals are neat but they are not the be-all-end-all.

I have run and completed 2 marathons where no finisher medals (nor certificates) were ever passed out.

And now a days -- these half marathons which give out finisher medals the size of hockey pucks is ridiculous.

In my opinion, the whole medal thing has been b @ stardized.

My first MCM finsher's medal is about the size of a quarter.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...