Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 3:52 PM by Maryalicia RSS
RooRunner2010 Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2010 10:52 AM

Need double running stroller for 3yo and infant...

Hello - I have a 7 week old and a 3 yo and am looking for a double stroller so I can get out even when I am on kid duty.  I am planning on the B.O.B. Ironman Duallie but just realized that you are not suppose to run with the car seat adaptor because it gives it a higher center of gravity.   I can't wait to go running for perfect head control and can't always find someone to watch the kids.  I am currently training for a 1/2 and plan on a Marathon in the spring.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Does anyone run with the car seat adaptor as long as there is a 2nd child in the seat?

Thanks

Stacey

• Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010

I have tried three different strollers, and by far love the CTS system. First off, I will say that there is no stroller that you are suppossed to run in with baby's under 7/8 months old with out good head control. There are several strollers that you can buy special 'inserts' for that allow you to have younger baby's in the stoller.

http://www.baby-jogging-strollers.com/scstore/p-1371210BB.html

I had a baby jogger II and that was pretty late weight, but it had no cover for the baby. And for the heavy price, they sure are spendy. Durable buggers though. I cannot remember the name of my second baby jogger- but it was purple.

Now, I have the Cheetah- one seater, and it is awesome. Lightweight, has a cover so my child does not throw anything out of stroller. Has a sun cover and a rain cover as well. I can covert it to a bike trailer as well. It is fast and easy to take down and put back together and if the bike tips over, the trailer does not. Finally it has a comfy 5 point harness system and room in the back if my child wears a bike helmet. It also has a arm strap to put on my wrist. (I watched the news one day where a baby jogging stroller rolled into the street and the baby was killed by a car. I cried so hard) It is spendy though- $300 at costco with the stroller jogger. The cougars are the doubles- and about $100 more.worth it - quality- and if have money to buy a BOB- maybe something to consider.

Here's an article on some recommendations:

http://multiples.about.com/od/stroller1/tp/twinjogstroll.htm

But really look for this:

1. Jogging strollers with bigger wheels (about 20 inches) are able to move more smoothly

2. Comfort and Practicality - for you and your children. Is it easy to push, maneuver. 2 kids are heavy- a lightweight frame helps ease the burden of the added weight.

3. Durability - $100 jogging strollers do not usually withstand test of time (or in this case miles)

4. Safety - arm strap? strong frame? brake if no arm strap?

5. Warrenty/Return policy. No matter how much you pay for a stroller and how much research you do- what if you get it and it just does not feel right? Like my second stroller? Ensure that where you buy it from has a decent return/trade policy.

Schwinn, Bob, Instep, the REI CTS systems are all pretty safe bets.

Good Luck!

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points