Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1152 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 6:18 PM by TheSillyErudite RSS
Ari(notGold) Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2010 11:25 AM

Newbie Questions - Breathing/Speed

This morning I ran W1D3 of the C25K program.  I am dreading the increase to Week 2 but hope to power thru.  My questions are:

1) Do you use any specific breathing cycles while running?  I find myself inhaling through my nose and exhaling with my mouth, but I feel like in lamaze class.  Also i keep feeling my lungs aren't getting enough H2O but i cant tell if it's because I'm a new runner.

2) According to my Jog Stats, I've been averaging 8.2 - 9.5 MPH during the jogging portions of the run.  Is that too fast? too slow?  I have no idea what I should b doing, but want to be able to keep enough strength to endure the next fazes of the program.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 17, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to Ari(notGold))
    Re: Newbie Questions - Breathing/Speed

1.  Do whatever works.  I can't get enough air through my nose unless I'm going very slow.  On an average run I breathe in on 2 steps/footfalls, and out on 2.  On a slow/recovery run I might get to 3 and 3.  If you're breathing more often than 2 and 2, you probably need to slow down.

I hope you meant O2, not H2O.

2. 8.2 MPH is a 7.5 minutes per mile (m/m) pace.  That's pretty fast.  9.5 is about 6.5 m/m, even faster.  Remember you shouldn't be sprinting.  This is an endurance event.  It's possible you might keep up that pace for longer distances, but if so, I'd have a hard time calling you a beginner!

Len

Len

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    2. Aug 17, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Your lung capacity will start to catch up with your activity level; just try to be consistent with the training program, honest!

I started out too fast (not as fast as you go, but too fast, for me) on the first week or two.  As I went through weeks 3 to about 5, I think, I ratcheted the pace DOWN, while increasing the amount of sustained running time.  I agree with lenzlaw, I think you may be trying to beat speed records too early.  If you're comfortable that fast, once your lungs are stronger, go for it, I guess.  But many or maybe most beginning runners are not running anything near that, from what I have read here and in the books I have read so far.

Try some slower paces and see how your breathing feels, too -- use being able to talk as a gauge of how hard you are working.  You ought to be able to carry on a conversation, without pausing long times between words, while doing your runs.

Basically, I think when our bodies plant those doubts in our minds about "am I doing this right?" it is because we need to change what we are doing.

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• TheSillyErudite Amateur 36 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    4. Aug 17, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to Ari(notGold))

I find that breathing through my nose AND mouth (http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/f/breathing.htm) when running is very helpful.  I can get more oxygen in when I breathe this way.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

-L

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points