Skip navigation

100324 Views 77 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 9:41 AM by Gary63 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Love the game Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Feb 6, 2008 5:57 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Average Softball Pitching Speed

We live on an Island off the West Coast of Canada!  We do get down to Seattle however to play ball several times year.

How long has female lacrosse been popular where you are?

• softballfred Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    18. Apr 21, 2008 1:10 PM (in response to Love the game)

ahhh your so called daughter does not pitch 63 mph that is not humanly possible. i'm a pitcher to and i played 18u ball when i was in 6th grade i'm a liitle older know and throw 63mph and unless you push her to were she does have any fun then that is a lie. i'm also being looked at by d-1 colleges. so i know what i'm talking about.

• VTchic818 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    19. Apr 25, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to softballfred)

It is quite possible for a girl that young to throw at that speed. I've played fastpitch for over 16 years now; high school ball, travel ball, and D2 college ball. Some girls mature faster than others, so if the girl really is as tall as she is then it could definitely be possible. Watch the 14u, 12u World Series that comes on ESPN in the summer.... some of the girls from Japan and China throw in the mid 60's, one girl hitting around 68.

I would also like to say, it's great that your daughter hit a grand slam but I bet she would dhit a lot better if she made a few adjustments. It looks like her front elbow is locked. Your front elbow is supposed to be bent all the way to contact point, then you extend thru the ball, and follow thru up high. None of that slapping your arm or back business, that means girls are rolling their wrists which is a BIG NO-NO!

Jan 13, 2008
    20. Apr 26, 2008 9:23 PM (in response to VTchic818)

Keep in mind -- she was just 11 years old when she hit that grand slam ... older this season, wiser, and a better hitter.   It's funny - when she sees the video of that hit now, she declares "what a LOUSY swing".  It was her motivation to improve.  Video is a great training tool.

Also - that pitching speed is in the gym in the off season.  Game speed today is a few mph slower.  With work, it will increase over the season -- and be faster come the big games later in the season.  More importantly -- ball movement is improving steadily. 

Slick - what tourneys are you at this season?  Maybe we'll see you at Provincials ... ?

• DaLonna Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    21. May 17, 2008 9:23 PM (in response to softballfred)

It is possible. My daughter is only 11yrs old & she already throws it 52 mph. She is one of the fastest & best pitchers in our area. The other teams don't want to play us because they don't want to have to face her. She can pitch more than just the fast ball & she is pretty accurate. She loves softball & is has been taking pitching lessons since she was 8 yrs old. By the way she is also a lefty!! Softball is not the only sport she plays but it is probably one of her favorites. She wants to play for the Olympic team (if they still have it when she gets older).

Jan 13, 2008
    23. May 24, 2008 10:22 AM (in response to DaLonna)

The way things are today -- the 2008 Olympics will be the last for softball.  What a huge disappointment.

• Indiana_Jones Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    24. Jun 2, 2008 4:38 PM (in response to saraallent)

<span class="jive-thread-reply-body-container">I want to get a radar gun and see how fast I can pitch...might be embarrassing, but would definitely be interesting.

So how did you do?

• dmblegends Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    25. Jun 6, 2008 2:01 PM (in response to Trish18)

I have a radar gun which I have simultaneosly calibrated against my car's speedometer and police radar detection devices. I have also used this gun at alot of girls softball tournaments in Texas over the past 5 years. From my experience, including college softball as viewed on ESPN, the table you created is very accurate although I can't say I recall ever seeing anyone clocked at 72, 70 yes. From my game, observation the difference of 2-3 MPH in softball at a given age bracket can make the difference between a very good pitcher and an unhittable one and similarly between an average pitcher and a very good one.

• dmblegends Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    26. Jun 6, 2008 2:10 PM (in response to Spazsdad)

You hit the nail on the head. I have clocked scores of girls from 14-19 over the past 5 years in N Texas select tournaments . I have gotten a few at 61 and one at 62. No one at 63 or above and that includes 18U-Gold and my gun has been calibrated. I will believe it when I see it in the mean time I will wear my hip boots in any discussions with Spazsdad.

• Bill_1942 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    27. Jun 15, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to Spazsdad)

Is that a Bushnel speed gun???

• jcompton44__1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 14, 2007
    28. Jun 23, 2008 7:07 AM (in response to Indiana_Jones)

I just fot back from the Dynamite Classic in Columbia SC.. I had my gun and out of approx 50-60 pitchers that I put the gun on 7 girls threw over 60 mph. This was a college showcase tournament. The age group my daughter was playing in was 18u and it was gold teams. Most girls threw in the mid to upper 50's. 127 college coaches were in attendance. Movement is where it is at

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...