Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

973 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2010 9:22 AM by TG.
drhawk Amateur 22 posts since
Mar 5, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2010 8:56 PM

Parents coaching from stands.

Parents from opposing team constantly yelling at kids from stands. Positioning outfielders, telling kids to take pitch, etc. everything the "coach" would be saying from the doug out is being yelled out from the stands, including "DROP IT" when a flyball is hit to the opponent or "THROUGH IT AWAY" when a grounder is hit to the infield. I was really surprised this A hole parents werent helling swing batter batter. Total no class act, happens every year in districts with this low class group of parents. What are your thoughts.

• coachpedro07 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    1. Jul 6, 2010 10:07 PM (in response to drhawk)
    Re: Parents coaching from stands.

doesn't matter its not the like the kids actually hear it when they are playing.  I stopped hearing the stands by age 9 when i played.  This only bothers the parents of the opposing team.  I do think its wrong but it doesn't affect the game.

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Jul 7, 2010 2:03 AM (in response to kal_)

It does affect the game when it is timed to cause a pitcher to balk.  I have seen a couple of coaches pull this bush manuver at 10U games yelling balk to pitchers in mid stride.

This is against the rules in most organizations including the MLB OBR.

(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach?s box or on the playing field, or elsewhere?

(1) Incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration by spectators;

(2) Use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, an umpire, or any spectator;

(3) Call ?Time,? or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

(4) Make intentional contact with the umpire in any manner.

(b) No fielder shall take a position in the batter?s line of vision, and with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter.

PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jul 7, 2010 5:06 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

MyTwo:

You don't have that right!

The Umpire has control of only what goes on between the fences and inside the dugouts.

In the stands, he has little power.

I agree that I would nullify a balk incited by a fan, and the first thing I would do would be to ask the manager to attend to the deportment of his fans.  That's about as much as you can do. (Common Sense Fair Play!)

You could suspend the game if it got way out of control. And the next move is to get league officials involved if they are present.

Final move is to call the cops.

But you as the ump have no other authority. 

Fans have the right to be a$$holes, but proper application of peer pressure and a chance to make grown ups grow up is about all you can do.

Mike CVUA

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Jul 7, 2010 5:25 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

"But you as the ump have no other authority"

Umpire does have some authority.... a "wild card" to play in LL...Rule 9.01(f).

He/she can order both teams into their dugouts; suspend play until league officials deal with the offenders. Failire to do so can result in the game being suspended until a later date.

I believe Mike was alluding to that rule in his 5th para down.

Frank!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Jul 7, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to coachpedro07)

If they're your parents hold a meeting and tell (not ask) them to knock it off:

"The kids aren't allowed to do it and we'd like you to follow their example."

Also let them know that their coaching during the game is confusing the players so you and the players would appreciate it if you'd leave the game-time coaching to the coaches on the field.

Make sure you smile and say "Thank you for your cooeperation."

If it's the other team's parents there's nothing you can do.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Jul 7, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to MyTwoSons)

doesn't matter its not the like the kids actually hear it when they are playing.

Many of them do. It's really annoying when the parents butt in and mess with the kid's heads.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    7. Jul 7, 2010 8:59 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

I told parents before the season starts the players will only hear one voice. It will be one of the coaches. I told them if they feel the need to coach their kids from the stands I'll pull them from the game so they can take them home and coach them.

As for opposing parents I told young players they need to tune it out since the noise will be there when they get older. If a parent was really obnoxious I made jokes about him to the players so they laughed at it. I told them things like that guy is making noise because he's upset there aren't any more boogers to pick in his nose. I told them the fat guy was upset the concession stand was out of nachos. Then I turned it over to them to joke about it.

• BHanlon Pro 82 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    8. Jul 7, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to Frank_B)

A parent who coaches the kids from the stands will often do more harm than good so let it go. He undermines the teams coaches and often gives instructions that contradict what the coaches want to do.

Also, "Throw it away..." is not going to effect the way a kid plays.

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    9. Jul 7, 2010 9:05 PM (in response to TG.)

"Total no class act..."

Hit the nail on the head.

Does it really surprise?

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Jul 12, 2010 5:33 AM (in response to drhawk)

Where's the tournament director and/or the district administrator on all this?  They should be putting this league's Board of Directors on notice that this kind of crap is not tolerated.

When I serve as TD for our district games, I spend most of my time walking between the two sets of bleachers, making my presence felt with the parents.  If I hear anything that is remotely derogatory to the kids, I'll let them know they need to keep those types of comments down.

As for positioning their own players, that's an issue for the team's manager to deal with.  I won't get involved unless I know the manager is allowing parents to actually be an extension of his coaching staff.  For example, I won't allow a dad to stand beyond the opposing team's dugout giving base coaching instruction to his team's runners.  And I won't allow dads to set up along the fences strategically positioning the outfielders.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    12. Jul 12, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Manny_A)

When my son played LL the district roped off the dugout areas. No one was allowed near the dugout. Fans were also required to stand three feet from the fence in the outfield. There wasn't any hanging on the fence.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...