Skip navigation

1101 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 6:34 PM by MarkH RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
Feb 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2010 7:27 AM

Wanted: analized advice

Hi guys,

Last training we used a high speed camera to do some shooting. "We" is a club in the Netherlands, Europe, called All In. We took some takes from our two pitchers, and all (9) of our batters. I have given it a try, but I am not sure which advice to give after wachting the slomo pictures.

Now, I am looking for some educated advice on our mechanics. Who could help me out here?

Frank

• Mike_CVUA Legend 592 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jun 18, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to Frank_NL)
    Re: Wanted: analized advice

Frank,

Judging from the title of your post, I think I can pull something out of my.......never mind!

For the umpires, see if you can get two cameras, one looking in from the side so you can judge height, and one from behind so you can see if the ump is getting into the slot correctly.

The back camera can be run at normal speed, and if you use a camera man, you can follow the PU in other mechanics (such as the 1-3 play, fly ball coverage, rotations, and over-all bearing.)

Between the 2, you can see if the ump is set, locked in, check the head height, check the timing, view of the zone, etc.)

And, watch how the mechanics deteriorate (if at all) as the game goes on.  I find fault with myself in some instances like this.  Need to work on that.

Good luck!

Mike CVUA

• RichW Pro 129 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 18, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to kal_)
    Re: Wanted: analyzed advice

Uh, Mike, I think he was referring to pitching mechanics.

- RichW

• Mike_CVUA Legend 592 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jun 18, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to RichW)
    Re: Wanted: analyzed advice

Rich:

Looking at the OP:

"Now, I am looking for some educated advice on OUR mechanics."

Since I lurk so much on an umpire board, you think the antecedent of "Our" refers to the umpires?  Yeah, maybe not here.

I can see how easy that mistake would have been.

Mike

• oldhardballer Legend 787 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Jun 18, 2010 2:38 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Frank_NL.  Make sure the bat head is staying inside the ball and their weight is evenly distributed. Make sure they are letting the ball get deep and not lunging at pitch (bring bat around the ball).  Most importantly (IMO) watch their head movement.  There should be very little movement.  Look at their hands and make sure they are relaxed prior to the pitch and not squeezing it (draws blood from hands).  I have my batters try to drive the ball up the middle until such time their timing is there, &  they are taught to "Hit it where it is pitched".  Hope that helped a bit. Lastly, on curve balls, we teach them not to pull them but to take them the other way.  Of course once in a while you will get a hanging curve, then just kill it.  Don 

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    6. Jun 18, 2010 6:55 PM (in response to oldhardballer)

If you want mechanics analyzed post them on baseball-fever.com in the Baseball 101 section. There are a bunch of mechanics junkies there.

• Daque Legend 208 posts since
    Jul 1, 2003
    7. Jun 19, 2010 9:13 AM (in response to Frank_NL)

Too funny, TG!  I agree that is the place to go if he wants them ANALized.

May 25, 2007
    8. Jun 19, 2010 11:27 AM (in response to Daque)

People of all sorts of experience in various aspects of baseball come to this board for information.  Not only on umpiring but on other topics.  Making fun of people because of spelling or the subject matter does not do this board service?   Don

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    9. Jun 19, 2010 11:40 AM (in response to Frank_NL)

Don ... If you've ever been on baseball-fever.com you would realize Daque's play on words of the mispelling is very funny.

May 25, 2007
    10. Jun 19, 2010 11:43 AM (in response to TG.)

TG......avid viewer of baseball fever, but IMO the response was making fun of the person who asked quite a ligitimate question.  Don

• Daque Legend 208 posts since
    Jul 1, 2003
    11. Jun 19, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to oldhardballer)

Don:  You are getting your shorts in a bunch over nothing.  I made no comment until TG made his and his skin is way too tough to be offended.  And, since the OP is from the Netherlands, perhaps his spelling is accurate in his environment. 

The pun was a combination of the referenced site and the propensity for their members to get pretty anal on topics. 

As an example, here in Mexico there is a well respected and large bread company named Bimbo.  Now if that didn't bring a smile to your face, perhaps you are a bit too anal and are a good fit in Baseball Fever. Finally, please realize that it was you, and only you, whom commented on the OP's spelling choice and judged it by your standards as you judged my intentions.

May 25, 2007
    12. Jun 19, 2010 1:31 PM (in response to Daque)

OK Daque and TG, I overreacted.  My bad.  Don

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    13. Jun 22, 2010 8:40 PM (in response to TG.)

Frank... I'm not going to even try to pretend regarding pitching mechanics...

but if you post an email... i will send you a little powerpoint presentation on hitting.

tony gwynn hitting.  you can replace gwynn with almost any (good) MLB hitter... they all do the same thing.

specific mechanics to look for during the swing.... it may help.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...