Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

338 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2010 1:31 PM by kal_
Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
Feb 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2010 6:00 AM

Use of East, Central and West division?

Here in The Netherlands, we don't have many baseball clubs. And because the country is rather small, there's only one league.

I understand in the US there is the American and the National league, historically grown. I'm trying to figure out why you have an East, Central and West Division? What is the use of that? is it only to make it possible to have a leader of the East divison playing the leader of the Central in the play off's?

Please enlighten me.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 4, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to Frank_NL)
    Re: Use of East, Central and West division?

ML baseball has expanded from 16 to 30 teams over the years. The split creates an oportunity for more teams qualifying for the playoffs.  In the old days only two teams qualified - the NL and AL champions. Now the three division champs plus the second place team with the best record make the playoffs - 4 from each league.

In addition, it helps with travel. The USA is physically very large. Many Europeans don't quite comprehend how large it is. 

• Coach_Lou Amateur 18 posts since
    May 26, 2004
    2. May 4, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

You'll notice teams play an uneven  league schedule with a majority of games within their own regional division.

They also save on travel by combining away games at cities that are close together when traveling. Currently the San Francisco Giants are on a road trip playing the Florida Marlins and New York Mets - both east coast teams. That is the only time the Giants travel there. The Giants fly three times to play the Rockies who are closer and in the same division.

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. May 5, 2010 1:31 PM (in response to Coach_Lou)

for Netherland teams... that will all depend on how many teams you have.

if you have only 4 teams... then have just one division.

if you have 8 teams... you could have two divisions (4 teams each).  naming them is up to where they are... could be "north" and "south" or "east" and "west"... or however/whatever division seems logical.

and so forth and so on.

if you really want to learn about baseball and how the "American" and "National" leagues developed... i suggest renting or buying...

Ken Burn's Baseball

an EXCELLENT AND VERY INTERESTING history of the game and those who influenced/played

from the mid-1850's through the 1990's

ps... if you like it... even better... Ken Burn's The Civil War!  (one has nothing to do with the other... but Ken Burns puts together QUALITY documentaries!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...