Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

912 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2010 9:38 AM by NA_Umpires 1 2 3 Previous Next
joes87 Expert 46 posts since
Nov 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2010 7:04 AM

HS Baseball Tryouts

Hi All ?

Not sure if anyone has any experience with this, or if there are any HS coaches out there.  Here is the situation.  My son is a freshman in HS.  Tryouts for the baseball team this week.  It?s a pretty competitive program at his school and they normally get 75 ? 100 kids going out for 28 positions.  For the most part my son is a position player.  He is saying he is going to primarily tryout as an outfielder as about 90% of the other kids have indicated they are primarily infielders.  Over the last couple of years he has played mostly 1st base and left field.  Splitting his time between both of them.  In addition he has done some pitching in the past.  In LL he was the primary pitcher on his teams.  Last year in travel ball he only pitched 8 innings; pitching occasionally whenever the coach felt like he needed someone in relief but did not want to ?waste? one of his primary pitchers.    I think his ERA for the 8 innings pitched was 0.2.  Anyway, one thing we noticed with his coach was that he had a tendency to stick with what he knew and as our son hadn?t pitched for him in the past he would go to one of his past pitchers whom he had worked with for a few years.  We went into the season knowing this about the coach so it wasn?t a major issue for my son.

Fast forward to HS tryouts.  My son is now debating whether or not to tryout as a pitcher as well as a position player.  My general thought on this is that if he shows he can also be used as a pitcher, though not his primary position, then it wouldn?t hurt him.  In fact if the coach knew he had a player which could fill in in an emergency situation then it may help him make the team.  On the other hand, it could look like desperation, a kid looking for anywhere to fit in.  I have suggested to my son that he go talk to the coach and ask him how he feels about this, but 14 YOs aren?t necessarily reliable so Im guessing he will get nervous and not do this.  Anyway, does anyone have any insight on to how they would handle this situation?

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to joes87)
    Re: HS Baseball Tryouts

I have suggested to my son that he go talk to the coach and ask him how he feels about this, but 14 YOs aren?t necessarily reliable so Im guessing he will get nervous and not do this.

Having HIM talk to the caoch is, IMO, exactly the right thing to do.

You need to impress on him that's it's his choice but that if he really wants to make the team then this could help.

The days of dad or mom getting involved are in the past (or at least they should be) !!!

• PJ_ Expert 43 posts since
    Apr 24, 2000
    2. Mar 1, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to Lou_B)

First of all, Good Luck to your son in his first hs tryout.

Your son should just be honest with himself and tryout for what HE wants to tryout for.  By saying ?he is going to primarily tryout as an outfielder as about 90% of the other kids have indicated they are primarily infielders???.is just letting the rest of the players decide for him.

He must communicate to the coach that he considers himself a utility player.  Take GBs and FBs with both groups AND let the coach know that he can also pitch.  When you say, ?On the other hand, it could look like desperation???.well, these are the kids I like to see.  Show me as much as you can, and let me decided.  I can?t evaluate something that I don?t see.  When a kid steps outside of his peer comfort zone and goes for it, he should have no regrets later.

Many times I have pitchers and catchers stay late to throw 15-18 pitch bullpens on tryout days.  Most kids are more relaxed after a day of running throwing, catching and hitting?.enough to take the bait when a coach releases everyone except for Ps & Cs.  I do ask at the beginning, who will be throwing pens, and it never fails, the initial number rises significantly after two hours of confidence building.

Again, good luck this season.

PJ

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    5. Mar 1, 2010 8:58 AM (in response to PJ_)

The first thing for you to understand about high school ball is conversations mentioning LL and past stats are no longer relevant. High school ball is about "What can you do for me today and potentially the rest of your high school career?"

As for pitching your son has to be into it to be successful. That said there are few high schools in a situation where they have too much pitching. With 28 roster spots is sounds like there isn't a freshman team. Half the JV team will be sophs. That leaves about seven roster spots for freshmen. Being able to pitch gives him the value of two players.

Making your high school team

Jul 25, 2007
    6. Mar 1, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to TG.)

"On the other hand, it could look like desperation, a kid looking for anywhere to fit in."

No. He will look like a team player who will do whatever it takes to help the team win. He can provide the coach flexibility in his lineup maneuvering..

• oldhardballer Legend 787 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Mar 1, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to joes87)

Im confused?  What is a "Freshman Team"?  Are you talking about the JV Team?  I don't know where you are from, but most (if not all) HS Teams consist of 1 J.V. and 1 Varsity.  All conferences I have ever coached in only allow 1 team in each category.  As far as your son, the advise about letting him make his own decisions and take the initiative are sound.  As far as him talking to the coach, I suggest he ask for a meeting during school hours and definately, not approach him on the field.  Most coaches don't enjoy this type of interaction.   Don

Jul 25, 2007
    9. Mar 1, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to TG.)

Most high schools across the country have freshmen, JV and varsity programs unless lack of participation (sometimes related to the size of the high school) doesn't require a freshman team.

Jul 25, 2007
    10. Mar 1, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to oldhardballer)

"Actually there are 2 freshman teams each carrying 14 players"

If there's concern over being selected as one of twenty-eight freshmen your son may want to consider another sport. Ultimately, even in a loaded, powerhouse program you won't see more than 10-12 from the senior class. Typically it's 6-8 (including a couple of bench players who stuck out the program and needed to keep score and chase foul balls).

• oldhardballer Legend 787 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Mar 1, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to TG.)

Thx TG guess I never worked in communities that had them  (south mostly).  There are a lot of big HSs there, but of course baseball is 3rd in popularity down there.  

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...