Skip navigation

1023 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2010 5:10 AM by Lou_B RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Dirt31 Amateur 20 posts since
Apr 1, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2010 12:58 PM

Selecting All-Star Managers

Guys - I'm curious how your leagues select all-star managers each year. Our league (LL) has always given first choice (usually the 11-12's) to the manager whose team wins the regular season major league championship. Then the rest of the spots get filled after that is settled. I would kinda like to put it in our Board's hands, and do it sooner than than the end of the regular season. I know you can't start practicing, but at least you would know your summer plans. Keep in mind that we don't have many parents as major league coaches (none now) and not everyone wants to coach all stars. I know some leagues let the kids vote, or use another process. Just curious what the pros and cons are of how your leagues do it.

Thanks.

• DA33 Amateur 34 posts since
    Feb 21, 2002
    1. Jan 28, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to Dirt31)
    Re: Selecting All-Star Managers

In this district we have quite a variety of methods used to select tournament managers.

A few use your method. Two of the leagues allow the tournament team to vote on the manager. Some the board selects based on ability.

In all methods the board reserves the right to make the final selection.

The draw back to selecting the manager that wins the league is that he might not be the one you want to represent the league. He might demonstrate a win at all cost attitude that is not consisten with the leagues goals and objective. It could be that he has the two best players in the league and the team's winning had nothing to do with his managers skills.

clay

• Jrb3536 Amateur 15 posts since
    May 18, 2004
    2. Jan 28, 2010 1:48 PM (in response to Mark_S)

Ouch.  Sensitive topic here in RI...

Whatever your league does...don't do what our did last year.

Our LP brought in a non-Dad mercenary to manage our all-stars.  The guys hadn't coached LL baseball in 5 years and didn't know the kids well, nor their strengths and weaknesses.  The league listed him as an assistant coach for our majors regular season, but in reality he probably sat on the bench for no more than 2-3 regualr season games.

He was a real know-it-all who didn't want to listen to any of us who had coached these kids to AAU medals, tournament championships, and a state LL championship at 10 years old.  He didn't eant to hear about the effect of the LL pitch-count rules and how that could determine the out come of games.  He didn't understand how important a good curveball was for pitcers who didn't throw 70mph fastballs.

The team was as talented as we've ever had here.  The talent was enough to get us through districts, states and into the championship game of the New Englands.  But our manager panicked in the game against NH. He started a kid without a curve who got hammered in the 1st inning, then brought in our ace, costing him 2 days of rest.  So, when we're in the final game vs. Peabody MA, our ace was working on only 2 days of rest and didn't have his best stuff.

2 more pitching move mistakes later (the guys who had spent the most amount of time with these kids,  who knew better, were shaking our heads in the stands), we blow 2 more leads until finally the Peabody kid hits a walk-off grand slam and they're off to Williamsport.  Meanwhile, we're on the Mass Pike heading home.

Moral of the story:  don't underestimate the abilities of the coaches who have been working with the kids since they were 8 or 9 years old, in travel ball, in tournaments.  They'll know the real ins and outs of each kid and how they'll react under pressure.  The so-called "expert" might talk a better game, but when it comes down to crunch time he won't necessarily make the right move.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jan 28, 2010 5:13 PM (in response to DA33)

You need to decide NOW and put it in your Local Rule BEFORE the season starts.  That way, everyone knows what it will be and you won't be "accused" of making it up at the end of the season to "favor" one person or the other.

One of our local leagues has the "Top Team Manager" the Tournament Manger providing he/she is in "good standing" (no ejections/suspensions/complaints/etc).

The others have the interested candidates "apply" and they get interviewed by the Board and then the Board votes.

Personally, I like the BOD to decide.

Sometimes, the manager of the Top Team isn't the person you want representing the league in the Tournament!

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jan 28, 2010 5:21 PM (in response to Manny_A)

Ditto what Lou said.

Letting the team go to the winningest regular season manager is stupid. It's also a sign of a BoD with no spine. I've umpired a TON of All Star games, and I've seen a bunch a managers who were horrible representatives of their communities.

Interview candidates, and vote them in. You need to think long and hard about who you want to be the face of your program.

• CTGuernsey Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008
    5. Jan 28, 2010 9:58 PM (in response to Kyle_)

So what do you suggest then if the BOD (Pres, VP, Secretary) all coach for the same regular season team and the vote is left up to them, the BOD, as to who coaches all-stars? Hmmm, wonder who will get the position.

May 25, 2007
    6. Jan 28, 2010 10:19 PM (in response to CTGuernsey)

So what do you suggest then if the BOD (Pres, VP, Secretary) all coach for the same regular season team and the vote is left up to them, the BOD, as to who coaches all-stars?

That's easy. Get yourself on the BoD, and start making changes.

Or, grumble.

Your choice.

Hey wait, just how many coaches/managers do you have on your BoD? More than half?

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Jan 29, 2010 3:27 AM (in response to Jrb3536)

Our LP brought in a non-Dad mercenary to manage our all-stars.

Don't just blame the LP. This guy had to be approved by the BOD to be a coach in the league.

The league listed him as an assistant coach for our majors regular season, but in reality he probably sat on the bench for no more than 2-3 regualr season games.

Once again, the BOD should not have allowed this yayhoo anywhere NEAR the All-Star team. And why didn't the dads of the All-Star players raise the red flag? Didn't they see this coming?

He didn't understand how important a good curveball was for pitcers who didn't throw 70mph fastballs.

Naaah, too easy.

Seems to me there was a lot more blame to be shared here than just the LP.

• CTGuernsey Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008
    8. Jan 29, 2010 4:57 AM (in response to Frank_B)

"That's easy. Get yourself on the BoD, and start making changes.

Or, grumble.

Your choice.

Hey wait, just how many coaches/managers do you have on your BoD? More than half?"

You always seem to have a smart@ss answer to everything...anyways

As a BOD member (just one of the grunts) last time i checked 1 vote wasnt enough to get things changed...any comment wiseguy?

And just over half (you probably want an exact number cuz u thank i m incomp...uncapra...incapable of doing the math myself) are managers/coaches fyi.

You should probably be aware (by asking first and being informed) of peoples positions and situations BEFORE you chime in with your sarcastic remarks. Then you wouldnt have to waste your time reading feedback such as mine. Just a thought.

May 25, 2007
    9. Jan 29, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to Kyle_)

+So what do you suggest then if the BOD (Pres, VP, Secretary) all coach for the same regular season team and the vote is left up to them, the BOD, as to who coaches all-stars? Hmmm, wonder who will get the position. +

The President can not manage/coach in All Stars without a Waiver from Williamsport.

As for the others, they still need approval of the BOD.  Seems like they have 3 Votes, what about the other members?

Of course, if you give it to the Top Team manager/caoches and they finish first then they get it anyway!!!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    10. Jan 29, 2010 6:22 AM (in response to Lou_B)

EG;

You can scratch the league president as being a candidate to manage or coach a tournamnet All-Star team. By regulation he/she is not eligible to do so....unless a waiver is granted.

We had a league president situation last year.

A waiver was requested.

The "powers" came back and asked for a  affidavit, signed by all Majors regular season managers/coaches stating they were not interested in the position.

Was done.....and subsequently the waiver was  granted.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    11. Jan 29, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to Kyle_)

+We had a league president situation last year.

A waiver was requested.

The "powers" came back and asked for a affidavit, signed by all Majors regular season managers/coaches stating they were not interested in the position.+

That's common practice, same thing happened in our District a few year ago.

Had a President that wanted to manage an All Star (Tournament) Team.

Sent the Waiver Request to Williamsport.

Williamsport said a President can only manage/coach All Stars IF no one else wants to do it.

They required a signed affidavit from every manager/coach stating they did not want to manage/coach the All Star team.

The Waiver was granted but only allowed the President to be a Coach, he could not be the Manager !!!

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Jan 29, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Lou_B)

here's a thought... let the managers themselves vote for the coaches on a ballot.

generally the coaches know pretty well who are the better ones... and who aren't.

whoever gets the most votes... is the manager.  next 2 are his assistant coaches.

???

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    13. Jan 29, 2010 7:09 AM (in response to Lou_B)

In our case, last year, the President was OK

'd to manage.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    14. Jan 29, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to CTGuernsey)

Sorry to be the wise guy, but here's what I don't understand: You're on a BoD that is obviously doing things the wrong way. I think we agree on that. So when you bring this up at the meetings, how are you proven wrong?

Look, I come from a league that goes by the book. If we vary from it, someone chimes in with the chapter and verse from the rule book or OM, and we get it right. I have a hard time understanding those that can't follow the rules, so that's my fault. So, sorry if I come off as a hard@ss sometimes.

If you're the lone wolf on the BoD, changing things will have to come gradually. Been there, done that. Get an OM from your Regional first. Then get friendly with your DA. Just ask simple questions first. "Can we have more than X coaches, and what should we do if we do?" You need your DA to have look at your structure, without looking you like a PIA parent.

If you're on the BoD, you already know that most of the whining comes from folks who do the least in the league. There's the 3% that do the work of the rest of the 97%. Thanks for being a three percenter. That's the best way to change things.

Switching to decaf for the rest of the day.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...