Skip navigation

581 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 1:04 PM by kal_ RSS
Vivolve Amateur 25 posts since
Nov 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2010 12:21 PM

Recruiting

High schoolers, vivolve.com is a FREE recruiting tool to add to your tool belt. Your own personal marketing agent.

http://www.vivolve.com

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jan 18, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to Vivolve)
    Spamming!

Did you vivolve?

Did you buy an add?

• THECOACH__44 Legend 289 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Jan 18, 2010 7:21 PM (in response to kal_)
    Re: Spamming!

Here is a shocker! If you are good.....you don't need any recruiting aids. Colleges come to you and offer you recruiting trips (get you drunk and laid). If they are chasing you you get offered a big 'ship. If you chase them, you get the minimum.

How did anyone ever get a 'ship prior to recruiting scams. Schools still only have 11.7 'ships. The same good players will get them. Vivolve ain't gonna get you a 'ship except maybe to Podunka DII and then prolly not as those schools force the coaches to give 'ships to local players.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    3. Jan 18, 2010 8:15 PM (in response to THECOACH__44)

Not every college baseball prospect is a jaw dropping stud where a top fifty, major conference D1 program is banging down their door. A majority of college baseball players aren't looking to go pro. They're looking for an education and looking to play four more years of a game they love. There is a need for a strong majority of college baseball prospects to get themselves seen. But these recruiting services are not it. They do some things free. But they are trying to suck players into fee services. These services mass mail information on prospects the college coaches rarely read.

If a player wants exposure who's not a jaw dropping stud he needs to be on a high end showcase team that has contacts. Otherwise a player at a showcase is a needle in a haystack. But even the jaw dropping studs do the major tournament showcases to compete against the best players. Two-thirds of all US born MLB players who made the majors in the past five or so years have played in a Perfect Game showcase event.

If a kid wants to play college ball he needs a business plan. He needs to decide what schools are a good academic and baseball fit. He needs to find out what showcases they will attend and get himself in front of them. It helps a LOT to be on a showcase team where the coach can preadvertise the players appearance. References from pro scouts also help.

My son attended a couple of camps of D1 programs this fall. His showcase coach called ahead. So did a pro scout. Since they were camps/clinics the head coaches were on the field and could talk to my son. They approached him saying his coach said good things. It's easier this way than just hoping to be noticed or having some recruiting service mass email junk email.

• Daque Legend 208 posts since
    Jul 1, 2003
    4. Jan 19, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to TG.)

You guys are so easy!  A guy comes down the pike, registers, posts, and then leaves forever.  He won't see your responses nor will he respond to them.  But he will benefit from the interest in his site generated by you.  Hey, as an aside, I have some ocean front lots in Arizona if you are interested in that too.

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Jan 19, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to Mason_Dixon_Blue)
    Re: Recruiting

for the non top 100 high school prospects... do what college coaches ask...

contact them yourself (not the parents)

and getting an 18 yr old "drunk and laid"...

i don't think i want my son attending that program!

Jul 25, 2007
    6. Jan 19, 2010 9:21 AM (in response to Daque)

It's why I posted these services are a waste and personal experience to back it up.

Jul 25, 2007
    7. Jan 19, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to TG.)

"do what college coaches ask..."

Because they can see the athletic potential themselves, the first questions they ask is "What's your GPA?" and "What are your SAT scores?" Then they'll ask for a sixty time.

"ask them yourself"

It's time to man up and be a young adult. The kid talks to the coaches. Parents should only ask about academics and finances. And be very careful discussing finances.

• kal_ Legend 583 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    8. Jan 19, 2010 1:04 PM (in response to TG.)

agree with TG 100% on this.

reminds me... we were watching "The Express"... in the movie when my son saw the Syracuse coach say... "I don't want him - he's lazy!"  (referring to a 'smart' HS prospect that scored high on college tests but only carried a C average in HS)... i said to my son... "see... everything you do in HS is important - even grades"

he's a bit overboard with grades though... wants to know if he's #1 ranked in his class.

we'll say "do your best"... he wants to know if he has A+'s!

ugh!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...