Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5090 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 12:52 PM by SlogOn RSS 1 2 Previous Next
JenBeee Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2010 9:55 AM

Just finished C25K - but my distance is nowhere near 5K :(

Argh. So, I can run for 30 minutes, which is great - I'm astounded that I've been able to make this much progress. However, I've been "running for time" throughout the program, not for distance - and when I measured my distance the other day using the Gmaps pedometer, it turns out I'm only running 2.2 miles. Ouch! I guess I'm not really done yet. Are others of you having the same issue? At the rate I'm currently running (or maybe I should call it barely jogging), it will take me 42 minutes to run 5k. Should I work up to running 42 minutesat my regular slow pace, or work on speeding up my pace to go farther in 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance -

JenBeee

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

That's a really good question!  At this point either way you go is going to eventually bring you to the same place.  By running regularly and slightly longer and/or farther each week, you will get stronger and your speed will gradually increase up to a certain point.  Eventually you will reach your maximum natural speed and level off unless you then start doing dedicated speed work.

I picture it this way:  You are starting your run with a tank of gas.  On that tank you can either go X number of miles at one speed or Y number of miles at a faster speed.   The choice is up to you.  As you get stronger, your "gas tank" will increase in capacity and you will be able to run father AND faster (not a lot, but enough to be significant).   Your optimal fitness will come from mixing up your workouts to include some runs that are shorter and faster and other runs that are longer and slower.  Bottom line is to just keep running - you will get there!

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

This is very common.

I think you should work on your endurance, increase the amount of time you run, and you will see some improvement in your pace at the same time.

Also, if you enter a 5k you will probably find that you will run faster in the race than you normally do.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

There are a lot of things that you can do at this point but first, pat yourself on the back for being able to run 30 minutes! It's a huge accomplishment so don't fail to recognize that. As far as the speed, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- keep running and the speed will come. If you like, there are several programs that get you up to an hour or you could work towards a 5k. Personally, I don't like to increase my distance or time more than about 5% per week, I'm pretty conservative like that, YMMV. Congrats on finishing though!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

Congrats on finishing. I guess it comes down to what is important to you at this time - speed or time you can run. I still have 3 weeks to go before I finish & doubt I'll be quite up to 5k in 30 minutes. It's important to me, (I'm middle aged), not to risk speed work related injuries. I'm opting to slowly increase my time & do some hill work to aff strength to my running muscles & joints. I'm going to tackle several races of different lengths over the fall/winter & see what my body does best - distance or speed. Managing both would be a bonus but personally, I'd prefer being able to run longer periods of time.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

I have had the same concern, am in the same situation, so it's good to see these responses!  Thanks!  I do have a couple of events on the schedule (still have to sign up for them) to motivate me.  I also am tracking my workout distances and time (I've mostly run on a treadmill so that makes these figures easy even without a runner's watch).  I was hoping that my progress would be toward a bit faster and/or a bit farther!  I'm trying to work on my mental attitude too -- to not be comparing myself too much to others, and to enjoy making my own progress, pushing enough, and not pushing so hard that I hurt myself.

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

I find that's the toughest part Linda - comparing myself to others even though I've yet to hear a starting gun! I look at winning 5K times for local events when I should be looking at the back of the pack. The winning times are being scored by young, fit, local elite athletes. Ain't no way I'll ever see a time of 16.00 for a 5K. I'm pushing 50 & will be THRILLED if I'm anywhere near 30:00 for my first 5K.

I expect too much of myself. I've barely been doing this 5.5 weeks yet am looking at what I strongly suspect are unrealistic times & other expectations.

At this stage, it's a good thing there's only one event between now & the Resolution Run in January. That & the weather will give me plenty of opportunities to get real. I can simply put some miles on my shoes & focus on working around the weather. By the time we get into spring racing season, I'll have a wee bit of time in & perhaps then can form realistic expectations.

But - pout! - I don't like realistic...LOL

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

Oh SlogOn, yes!  To be 25 and a runner now!!!!!!

Well, I just put on the CD from Bliss in a Box, the Vinyasa Flow yoga workout disk.  I did that yoga routine, and then realized that at the end of it, it flows right on into the Guided Body Scan relaxation session.  So I did both.  Man, I feel well stretched and twisted and lengthened, AND really really mellow.  So, right at this moment, WHO CARES if I am in the back of the pack?

I know that we will all look back on now and say, "gee, look at how worried we were!"  And it is learning to cope with our impatience that is maybe the hardest lesson of them all.

I see Amazon isn't carrying it any more, doesn't have a review or blurb about it, but, in case anyone is curious, I just love the CDs from this package:

http://www.amazon.com/Bliss-Weekend-Contemplative-Retreat-Home/dp/0965764966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282177880&sr=8-1

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• izzy74 Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010

Jen,

Well done on finishing C25K and working up to 30 mins! I finished the programe a couple of weeks ago and did the same as you I just tried to get to 30 mins before I worried about distance and when I did track it was apx 2.2 miles. For the past 2 weeks I have increased workout to 35 mins and have also started increasing my speed in last 10 mins. I run outside and turn around at 17 mins and then try to pick up my speed. I have now run 5K in 36 mins, 34 mins and yesterday in 31 mins. I didn't think I could run faster but was amazed when I tried it. Perhaps you could try to speed  it  up for the last 5 mins first and then increase the time on each run. Just listen to your body it will tell you if you are doing too much!

Good Luck

Izzie

• lwillard1214 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009

The same thing happened to me.  My 5K times are 38:22 and 37:43.  I finish just ahead of the walkers (most of them!).  it's all good!  You're doing it.  That's what counts.

• Metime Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010

You can run 30 minutes!  Could you do that before?

I was in the exact same situation.  Finished the C25K and could run 30 minutes, but it wasn't 5K.  We finished the program 1 week before our race, so our instructor mapped out a 5K course and we had to run that 2 times the week of the race and then came race day.  I finished my first 5K at 41 minutes.  Since then I have run 2 more and been at the 39 minute pace.  Guess what--there are still people finishing behind me.  I am slowly learning to run a little faster and I just think it is going to take me some time (lots of time) before I can do it in 30 minutes.

I would start practicing for distance now.  Figure out a 5K course and start running it.  Even if you have to walk part of it the first few times. 

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

• Jumpman5k Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010

First of all, big congrats on getting to the 30 min milestone.  That's great!  I'm not there yet, but I am pretty sure when I do get there I will be in the same boat.  If so, my plan is to.... repeat the program!  Except this time, when it says "walk now", I will lightly jog, and when it says "run now", I'll pick up the pace.  That's the theory anyway!

• Harley2003 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

I'm in the same boat!  Wasn't sure if I should be going for distance or time.  Tonight will be W2D3 and I have been going with 5k distance rather than time.  It takes me 45-50 minutes to complete.  I feel that overall, this will help my endurance.

• NancyLakes Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010

I haven't finished the program yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't able to do a mile in 10 minutes!!

I can run a mile in 16 minutes. That's my best time so far, and I, too, am just ahead of walkers at the park, lol!

I had to just make up my mind that my pace is my pace. I am going to do the best that *I* can do, and not worry about it. It DID bother me a lot at first though, when somone pointed out how slow my time was on the one mile. I actually stopped running for a few weeks! I'm over that now and back out there.

I have a 5K in 3 weeks. I know I'll have to walk a good bit of it, and that's ok. I just want to have the experience behind me so my nervousness of registering for a 5K will calm down. I think I won't be as intimidated once I'm out there actually participating. The second one will be easier!

I don't mind being a slow runner anymore..  at least I'm a RUNNER! 

Started running 4/21/10

1st 5K ran on 11/6/10  Flying Fortress 5K  - 48:29

Enmark Savannah River Bridge Run  5K - 54:14 (walked/ran with my son)

Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure 5K  - 59:02 (walked with my dd)

Coming up:

Watermelon Crawl 6 miler - July 4th (a little nervous)

Registered for: Savannah Rock N Roll HM -11/6 (terrified!)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points