Skip navigation

1684 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2008 9:49 AM by GMom1 RSS
newbe83 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 6, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2006 10:17 PM

Keep going, never quit.

When I was a senior in high school, the outcomes of my two sports couldn't have been more different. In football, it wasn't until game 5 that I finally got some serious playing time(our season ended in the first round of playoffs, we were 1-8). Until then, I had only gotten to be on the field for 2 plays on varsity-and those weren't even at receiver-they were as a safety in the last two plays of game 3. I absolutely hated practicing but not playing so I asked the coach if I could go play JV just to play. The only teams I wasn't starting on were kickoff and punt return. We kept losing in JV but at least I was playing instead of sitting. Finally I got a significant chance on varsity and I apparently made a block that kept a 98 yard touchdown drive going. I really wish I could remember that play but I can't-not because of a concussion, but because of adrenaline. I was so fired up to be playing that I don't remember what was perhaps the biggest block of my career. After that-only one game had me playing less than a full series on offense. It happened to be our only win so I really didn't care. That was two years ago now, and that season is still my biggest lesson in perseverence.

I carried the lesson through to track, lifting and running through the winter got me my best season ever. I had been around the sport all my life due to my dad being the assistant coach. The previous 3 seasons, I had struggled to earn the varsity letters that now decorate my jacket. It took 12 points to get a letter, my senior year I had well over 40 points but had not placed first or second in any individual event all year.

I finished my high school sports career with the awards of:

Football: 2 year letter-winner

Track: West Central Conference North Honorable Mention, member of a 4x200m relay team that won 4th place in MN Class A State Finals, 4 year letter winner, and last but not least-team captain.

The life lesson I took from all of this?

Even when it seems the entire world is against you and nothing is going right-you have to keep going. DO NOT QUIT! Instead just keep doing your best and eventually things will start to go your way. If all this is happening in a sport-once it starts going your way, you're going to have a season you'll never forget.

Tim Newberg,

Long Prairie/Grey Eagle Thunder (Minnesota)

Class of 2005

• GMom1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 26, 2008
    1. Apr 26, 2008 9:49 AM (in response to newbe83)
    Re: Keep going, never quit.

Encouragement! Thank you. Getting attenion from the coach's can be tough.This is the start of our third season in little league. We attend games and practices faithfully and give up other activities and outings telling our kids that team members have an obligation to show up. We have only missed one practice do to illness. My son has sat out 5 of the last 10 inings (two games) despite only having 10 and 11 players. He also was the only one on his team to show up for opening day ceremonies (we did not want to be there either). Coachs understadably play their kids more and let them pitch or catch more . I think they see that as their privilige for  volunteering. I help out where I think I can and we do our part as far as umpiring. My husband who knows how to and follows Ball can't coach do to  a cronic illness. Any suggestions on how to get attenion would be appreciated. We do encourage  the kids to be patient and perservere...and have fun. We're Trying to teach them that you make your own success no one owes you anything.

• GMom1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 26, 2008
    2. Apr 26, 2008 9:50 AM (in response to GMom1)

Encouragement! Thank you. Getting attenion from the coach's can be tough.This is the start of our third season in little league. We attend games and practices faithfully and give up other activities and outings telling our kids that team members have an obligation to show up. We have only missed one practice do to illness. My son has sat out 5 of the last 10 inings (two games) despite only having 10 and 11 players. He also was the only one on his team to show up for opening day ceremonies (we did not want to be there either). Coachs understadably play their kids more and let them pitch or catch more . I think they see that as their privilige for  volunteering. I help out where I think I can and we do our part as far as umpiring. My husband who knows how to and follows Ball can't coach do to  a cronic illness. Any suggestions on how to get attenion would be appreciated. We do encourage  the kids to be patient and perservere...and have fun. We're Trying to teach them that you make your own success no one owes you anything.

• HenrysBaseballClub Legend 255 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Aug 8, 2010 9:42 PM (in response to GMom1)

AAA. LIKE I SAID NOT ALL GO TO THE BIG SHOW. THERE ARE 50,000 PEOPLE IN THE STANDS AND 2 TEAMS WITH 50 PLAYERS ON THE FIELD. THAT SHOULD TELL U THAT IT IS A SELECT FEW THAT MAKE IT. SPORTS ONLY PUTS OUT ITS BEST ON THE FIELD. SO STOP DAY DREAMING AND DO THE HARD TRAINING!! 781 891 0621 WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM LET EVERY ONE KNOW. LIST OF ALL THE TRYOUTS AROUND THE NATION, LOCATIONS, TIME TO BE THERE AND WHO OR WHAT CLUB IS HOLDING TRYOUTS.

WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM

!WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM|src=WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM|border=0!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...