What's your ACTIVE?

Join our community of ACTIVE people sharing training advice
and encouragement to help fuel your passion.

ACTIVE Community

Running after knee replacement

I had a partial knee replacement on 3/20/17. Six months prior to surgery, I was a marathon runner (17 marathons), running about 40 miles a week. Then I couldn’t run - knee just gave out. I am getting ready to start running again. I will begin with couch to 5k. I did my first run last week and have a new PR of running for 55 seconds. At 55 seconds, my knee started to hurt and I stopped. It took about 4 days for my knee to calm down, but I will start working on the treadmill with my PT next week. I will come back and post on my progress, but would be very interested in any other stories. Bill

Thats amazing. I also played football after hurting myself in foot through unsuitable shoes.

1 Like

I went to PT yesterday and practiced running - very short distance for my PT. My stride is still a little wonky so I have assignments to improve stride: lunges on bosu, running in place bring heels as close to hips as possible. Also, I had a funny movement bringing my repaired leg forward - sort of a circular swing that I am supposed to work on. I thought about this as I walked home from PT and realized that I am not moving my right hip at all. I started letting my right hip move a bit to mimic the motion of left hip, and I think it is helping. After my workout at the gym today, I ran 2 minutes on the treadmill at about a 13 minute pace. It went okay - no pain. I will try it again Thursday. Meanwhile, I am walking over 15,000 steps a day, going to the gym every other day, and doing pt at home the off days. I’ll update again next week.

At PT today, I ran on the treadmill. The change in my hip improved my stride. While I still have exercises to do, I am now cleared to run one minute intervals. I can do these on the treadmill in the gym or on my walks… I am very out of shape for running, but I think running will bring back my conditioning. No PT next week, so I have 2 weeks to work on the one minute drills. Unless something happens, I will wait to report until my next PT. That should give me time to work on form on my short running drills.

For me it was great inspiration blotto, you are great runner of course. But from your health point of view whatever decision you have taken is right.

August 8 - I officially started Couch to 5k on Sunday. This week I “run” for 3 days. After a 5 minute warm up walk, I do 8 reps of 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking. My assignment is to focus on form: keep knees straight and aligned; keep core tight, keep sternum centered so shoulders are level; keep ribs down; keep shoulders relaxed; allow hips to swing normally; be sure kickback is the same on both legs; land lightly. Going through this check list as I run is a bit of a challenge; I check items off one at a time, and by the time I reach the end of the list, I need to start again and make minor adjustments. Running used to be easy. No major changes to my exercise regimine other than squats on a Bosu to improve balance.

1 Like

August 19 - I am now up to six 90 second intervals. Next week, my plan calls for 3 minute intervals, but my PT wants me to slow down and only do 2:30 intervals. All is going pretty well, considering. I had some swelling Thursday, when I ran and then increased my weights at the gym. So, I took Friday off - no PT, no stairs, just walking. I am pretty confident that things will progress, so I will wait to post until I hit a milestone, have a eureka moment, or just think I have something to report.

Well, I wasn’t going to post for a while, but last Wednesday I increased my run to 2 min 3o secs. I felt great, but after the run, my knee was SORE. My knee hurt, my hip hurt, my back hurt. I didn’t do any exercise for 4 days. I am still sore and am doing about 1/2 of my normal exercise. I was ready to pack it in. My PT says keep the exercise light for another week and try again. She says drop back to 90 sec and then increase to 90, 120, 120, 90, still discouraged, but I will give it a try.

Here’s an update. I had my 6-month check up yesterday. All good. I talked to my doctor about my running so far. He said everything looked good. He encouraged me to do most of my running on trail or treadmill, but didn’t rule out 5k or 10k on the street. With that in mind, I decided to push a little harder. Today I ran for one mile on the treadmill. I ran at a slow 10:30 pace. It was easy. No knee problems. I will continue to build miles at a slow pace. My PT says build miles first than work on speed. I may not rigorously follow couch to 5k. I don’t want to pust too hard, but I think I have been holding myself back. Next week I plan to jump to 2x1 mile, and the following week 3x1 mile, I will do these 3 x a week. Then, I will reevaluate. I will check in in a couple of weeks.

I am now up to 2.5 miles on the treadmill 3 times a week. I will hold at this distance a few more weeks out of caution. We’ve entered the rainy season, but when a dry day hits, I will do my run outdoors. I think it will be easier. I don’t love treadmills.

2 Likes

I am now running 5 miles, trail or street. I am still slow. I will run a 5k in March and share my results.

2 Likes

I have to say you’re awesome! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Keep going!

1 Like

RACE REPORT! I ran my first post-replacement race. It was a 5K. The race was probably more of an event than a race. 1000’s of people, wave start without regard to goal pace. I was struggling through walkers, children, and strollers for most of the first 2 miles. I managed to finish in 28:56, my slowest 5K ever. But, I held about an 8 minute pace for the last mile. More important, I did it! I had no problem with my knee, and will shoot for a 10k next time. It was fun!

2 Likes

Great job on the race! So glad to hear your recovery is going so well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blotto, you’re doing amazing! I’ve never heard of someone recovering that quickly. What would you say helped you the most? I just have to say that you’re an inspiration. I’ve been known to whine over shin splints.

1 Like

I had a MakoPlasty robotic guided replacement from an experienced surgeon. I think getting everything fitted correctly helped. I also had a good PT. It’s tricky to find the balance between doing too much and aggrevating the knee and doing too little and becoming weak. I exercised as much as I could, iced for hours every day. I took pain meds for 4 months so I could keep going. And, I was lucky.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply! It sounds like you went in with a plan and took your recovery seriously. I understand the difficulty of finding the balance between too much and too little exercise, but kudos to you for doing so well.

1 Like

That is such a great story! Thanks for the reports :heart: Better go out for a run myself

lovely stuff! Going for a 5km run myself. Aiming to go past omaha car care. I’ve never been past it.

1 Like

I had my acl surgery last November and im still killing from it!
I run two businesses during the day. An AC Repair business and a Tree Removal Company in Nellysford VA.
Needless to say I wish i was health so i didnt have to hurt all the time during work