What's your ACTIVE?

Join our community of ACTIVE people sharing training advice
and encouragement to help fuel your passion.

ACTIVE Community

Trying to Run Again

I ran a couple of half marathons back in 2016-2017 and decided to take a little break. Well, that break turned into 2 years. I’m tired of being out of shape and hit the pavement again today. It was brutal to say the least. It took me 25:06 to trot 2 miles. My legs were heavy, breathing sucked, and could even taste a little metallic. I’m 50yo, so I didn’t expect to burn it up, but I didn’t really expect it to be that bad either. Has anyone had experience with a long break from running and then get back into it? Can I reasonably expect to get to where I was before as far as distance and times, or am I wishful thinking? Thanks for any advice/input.

Good question. I have a similar question, in that I’ve found that my times and pace seem to have been declining as I get older. I ran a half marathon years ago, but now struggle to get past 6 miles at a time. (I’m 39 and have been running consistently for 11 years.) I assume it’s just part of the aging process, but part of me also thinks if I keep at it, I should be able to get back to where I was in younger years (or, I’m just not trying hard enough). I’ll be interested in what others say.

I know how you feel. Runners don’t like any kind of backslide and we can take setbacks hard. I do know that you should keep at it, whatever your pace. Heavy legs, bad breathing will get better in time, just like when you started running in the first place.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I just need to keep at it. I do know that at age 50 it is going to take some extra time. At this point I’d just be happy to be able to run a 5k without walking at a 9:30 pace.